• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cheap Speed Capper PART 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After you have pressed the tube over the cap you will be rewarded with the sight of a cap held in place by the friction fit properties of vinyl tubing!

Speed Capper (11).jpg

Flip the tube over and do it again. Repeat with the rest of your short tubes that you cut out of the 20 foot roll. If you cut them about 1 1/8 inches like mine you should be able to get about 210 sections.

Now this next part is important and I am using an 1860 Army to demonstrate. Please note that this method was impossible with my Pietta 1851 Navy and Colt 1862 Police. The recoil shield on the frame of those revolvers did not provide enough clearance to get the tube in place. You may have better luck with brands other than Pietta.

Note the groove in the recoil shield. It's important to line the nipple up with the groove and keep there.

Speed Capper (13).jpg

The reason you need the groove lined up with the nipple is because the clearance on either side of the groove is too tight to allow for the vinyl tubing to have access to the nipple.

Speed Capper (14).jpg

WARNING: AT THIS JUNCTURE YOU MAY BE TEMPTED TO JUST PRESS THE CAP IN PLACE BY PUSHING DIRECTLY ON THE TUBING. DO NOT DO THAT!

IF YOU PUSH STRAIGHT DOWN ON THE TUBING, THE ONLY THING THAT YOU WILL ACCOMPLISH IS PUSHING THE CAP INTO THE TUBING.

IF THAT HAPPENS I WANT YOU TO GO WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP BECAUSE OF THE THINGS YOU MIGHT SAY.

HAVE I GOT YOUR ATTENTION? GOOD.

In order to get the cap onto the nipple and not stuck up inside the tubing you will need to bend the tubing after you get the cap started on the nipple and while pressing down.

The bent tubing will prevent the cap from sliding inside. So bend and press at the same time.

After the cap bottoms out on the nipple, DO NOT withdraw the tubing. All you are going to accomplish is pulling the cap back off the nipple.

Speed Capper (15).jpg

Again, DO NOT pull the tubing back because you are going to take the cap with it.

Keep the tubing bent and use a ripping motion to pull the tube to the side away from the revolver. The vinyl is pliable enough to leave the cap in place.

Speed Capper (16).jpg

Flip the tube over a repeat for the next nipple.

Speed Capper (17).jpg

In case you are not sure about how to cap the nipples with this method or are having trouble I'll post the link to the video again. It's at the 45 second mark when he starts capping.

Note that the 1858 Remington is easy to cap. The 1860 Army takes a little practice.

Last edited:
That would be a nice way to carry a couple spares in a patch box.

My favorite capper is a simple old CVA design I've had for 40 years. works great.

The one on the far right.

$_1.JPG

Nice instructional thread Enfield58, thanks for taking the time to do that.

That would be a nice way to carry a couple spares in a patch box.

My favorite capper is a simple old CVA design I've had for 40 years. works great.

The one on the far right.

$_1.JPG
For some reason, I've never had good luck with the other cappers. I'm not say that they don't work. They just don't work for me.

I must be doing something wrong.

For some reason, I've never had good luck with the other cappers. I'm not say that they don't work. They just don't work for me.

I must be doing something wrong.
The old CVA design differs from almost every other design made in that it is simply a tube where you push the caps straight forward similar to the tubes that you made.
I wish that design was still made.

The old CVA design differs from almost every other design made in that it is simply a tube where you push the caps straight forward similar to the tubes that you made.
I wish that design was still made.
I remember that capper. I didn't get it at the time because I thought, "Nah, this thing looks too simple. It can't possibly work."

Should have got one when I had the chance. It's just like missing the opportunity to buy stock in bottled water.

Thumbing my way through this post, it got my attention( maybe it was the word cheap). Will have to investigate further when time allows. In the meantime its Sunday morning and I got to get ready for church.

Excuse my ignorance, that groove in the shield of the 1860 Army, did you put that there? I'm not familiar with that model. If its your doing couldnt it also be done to a 1851 Navy?

Excuse my ignorance, that groove in the shield of the 1860 Army, did you put that there? I'm not familiar with that model. If its your doing couldnt it also be done to a 1851 Navy?
That groove was manufactured into the revolver. It’s a 2nd generation Colt that I bought in 1981.

If I’m correct, Uberti made the parts but the guns were assembled by Colt.

Some other Italian manufacturers may not have the groove.

I suppose a groove could be machined into the 1851 Navy but I cannot do it. A gunsmith or machinist would have to do it.

Even the original 1860s they also had that groove?

Here are some photos or original 1860 Army revolvers. It looks like the groove was a standard feature.

It's my guess that it was put there to help the shooter guide the cap onto the nipple with their fingers.

Unless someone can let me know that I'm wrong, they didn't have cappers back in the 1860s. AFAIK, they put the caps on with their fingers.

Colt-1860-Army-right.jpg

1200px-Colt_Army_Mod_1860_US.JPG

Colt-arme-1860-p1030159.jpg

post-9906-0-09912100-1446414543.jpg

19855-3.jpg

6561e501f308d064468586a5283308a2.jpg

I'm almost drooling, those pictures of 1860 Armys were "stimulating".
I got a Pietta 1860 Army as a present for a friend's son. Except for the cap-sucking issue it is a great revolver.

The cap-sucking problem is eliminated with the Slix-Shot nipples.

IMHO the 1858 Remington is a robust revolver. I can put 30 grain charges and it's still accurate enough for my needs.

On the other hand, a 25 grain charge with a round ball in the 1860 Army is a great load. It feels better in the hand than the 1858 Remington. It naturally points better and truly feels like an extension of my hand.

A natural extention of the hand. I've heard that said about a few differant Colts. No other make of gun has earned that praise as far as I know.

Here are some photos or original 1860 Army revolvers. It looks like the groove was a standard feature.

It's my guess that it was put there to help the shooter guide the cap onto the nipple with their fingers.

Unless someone can let me know that I'm wrong, they didn't have cappers back in the 1860s. AFAIK, they put the caps on with their fingers.

Colt-1860-Army-right.jpg

1200px-Colt_Army_Mod_1860_US.JPG

Colt-arme-1860-p1030159.jpg

post-9906-0-09912100-1446414543.jpg

19855-3.jpg

6561e501f308d064468586a5283308a2.jpg
Elegance...

The early '51 Navies didn't have the capping groove, it was added to the late frame and the cutout in the recoil shield was made smaller and lower also. Depending on which the factory chose to replicate you may or may not have the groove and the cutouts may be different. There are 3 recognized types of frames, "Early", "Late" and the 4 screw which is cut for a shoulder stock. About 50 '61 Navies were made without the groove and I believe all of the Armies had it.

Back