• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Installing set trigger in an 1800’s original rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a rifle, that with a rear action Golcher lock and barrel that exhibits 2 UK proofing stamps. So, I figure it’s an original from the mid 1800’s. It shoots very accurately, but has a single action trigger with a considerable pull weight. Considering installing a single set trigger but hesitate to alter the original. Has anyone out there had a similar situation?

I agree with @rich pierce . Most of the antique sporting rifles I've examined that have double set triggers have no half-cock notch in the tumbler at all. The half-cock position is considered the "safety" on a sidelock muzzleloader. I don't recall handling an original with a single set trigger, but I expect the issue with the half-cock notch would be the same.

Not sure I would want to modify a functional original in that way, anyhow.

The trigger let-off can be improved with proper engagement of the sear nose in the full-cock notch. This requires careful stoning, but can make a tremendous difference. The one caveat would be with military guns. The tumbler typically has a different radius for the half-cock than full-cock. Difficult to explain, but you need a firm pull on the trigger to keep the sear nose from hitting the half cock notch, and there is only so much that these can be lightened, but I understand that a knowledgeable gunsmith can improve it some.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Back