• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can this be made or where does one acquire it?
Getting ready to inlet a brass buttplate on a Kentucky stock per another post I saw.
All I can seem to find in Prussian blue and am afraid it might stain the stock wood.
Thanks
I use a small kerosene lamp to smoke the part for inletting...

My first jar bought from Brownells in the seventies. Ran out a couple years ago. Got some ink from the local newpaper and mixed with vaseline. When you get down to the fine scraping, smoke is best.

vaseline mixed with ebony black oil paint. put in a jar and mine has been left open since 1999. still gooey enough to put on
and does a pretty good job of marking. Use sparingly. have tried marker, and other things but end up 90% of the time using this mix

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

I use a small hurricane oil lamp (8" tall as purchased) that I remove the arms and globe from. I solder two brass sheet metal disks where the arms were removed to plug up the openings. The only part that is left is the base with the wick adjuster. I paid less than $10 for it and it will soot up a barrel in no time. Amazon has them for $8.01.
Stansport Small Hurricane Lantern (Red, 8-Inch) 130 One Size

That inletting black is nasty stuff and will get all over everything if you aren't careful with it. Remember that a little bit goes a long way, the same with lip stick. Use an acid brush to apply a THIN coat of either. A candle or oil lamp will work just as well, remember though, if you hold something over a flame it will get hot, don't burn your fingers! Have fun, that's what it's all about!

Can this be made or where does one acquire it?
Getting ready to inlet a brass buttplate on a Kentucky stock per another post I saw.
All I can seem to find in Prussian blue and am afraid it might stain the stock wood.
Thanks
I use the brightest cheap red lipstick I can find and use a brush to put it on.

I have used candle soot; small oil lamp; small alcohol lamp; and inletting black... like the ad says- " a little dab will do ya "....
hope this helps ...... watch yer top knot !!
thom

I prefer sharpie marker or dry erase. I also use soot. The little 1/2 oz container above is good stuff. Put it on very thin with a tooth brush.

Sharpie is my favorite. IT does not transfer with a light touch. It requires some pressure. This helps avoid false marks. It is not messy at all.

In the past I have used lots of things. Greasy and oily stuff get into the wood. Modern lipstick is low on pigments. Real Prussian blue is a big mess. You have to be careful to use only the tiniest amount. IT leaves blue marks all over the place including me. I used the last of my 20 years ago and never looked back.

and I was going to say lipstick telling on myself. My first build was in collage. It was just a CVA, but countless hours of mental health to get me though the engineering ..... I had the summ total of a jackknife, a rasp, a light file, a broken coke bottle and lipstick to assemble it. I used pieces of rag for applying the stain and finish. Worked well, but I always thought I was a bit unusual using the lipstick. You guys made me chuckle mentioning it... I guess it wasn't as much as a girl move as I always assumed.

I ended up getting a small tube of prussian blue at the local Napa.
Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

@Fly Navy @1942farmall is your Prussian blue the same stuff as Hi Spot blue? This is what I use and it has stained the heck out of my barrel channel. I started out using too much and if you do that it actually absorbs I to the wood. I think I'm facing either blue stained barrel channel or removing more wood and having to backfill some with epoxy and wood filing dust

Just got my Jerrows Inletting Black order!!!!
iu.jpeg

Now I can get that barrel in!!
Robby

Latest posts

Back