• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inletting a Trigger Guard for a Pedersoli Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRustyLane

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever inletted a trigger guard for a Pedersoli Frontier flintlock? I personally don't like the trigger guard just sitting on top of the wood. Thanks in advance.

Can't be more difficult than any other trigger-guard. Scribe, remove wood to the desired depth with chisels, stain & finish the raw wood and replace the guard. Not certain if anyone can give you more detail than that....

i wasn't certain if doing that would change anything with the trigger since the trigger guard lays on top of the trigger plate. I probably would have to grind off or file off part of the trigger plate that lies directly below the trigger guard.

i wasn't certain if doing that would change anything with the trigger since the trigger guard lays on top of the trigger plate. I probably would have to grind off or file off part of the trigger plate that lies directly below the trigger guard.
No - file a step in the trigger-guard.

Would it be easier and interfere less with the trigger and trigger plate if one filed the side of the guard that contacts the wood flat (and thus thinner) and file the other side to a more correct faceted shape with a sharp edge where metal and wood meet, creating the illusion of a properly shaped and inlet trigger guard. Part of what makes the guard on these guns sitting outside the wood look so ugly is the rectangular with rounded corners cross section of the part of the guard that is normally inlet.
Just wondering as I'm no m.l. gun builder, but, I would like to defarb my Pedersoli Blue Ridge one day.

Has anyone here ever inletted a trigger guard for a Pedersoli Frontier flintlock? I personally don't like the trigger guard just sitting on top of the wood. Thanks in advance.
I just looked at my .36 Frontier; the distance from the tip of the triggers to the inner face of the guard is shorter than the thickness of the mounting flats that you seek to inlet; so, it would appear to me that to do what you want you would also have to set the trigger plate deeper into the stock.........I'm starting to see several points at which the old yarn, "I've cut it twice now and it's still too short", might rear its ugly head.

Gonna have to figure out the search engine here at the site, but a couple or three years back someone posted a lengthy series on modifying the Frontier, including as I recall inletting the trigger guard. Highly informative series of steps and photos worth your search. Only danger I see is stopping at the guard, because so many other very good changes were made to that fine gun.

Be careful changing the inlet on the trigger plate. It can change the geometry of the sear and trigger. If you set the trigger in deeper you will have to alter the clearance between the sear and the trigger.

You may also have to adjust the clearance between the trigger and the guard once you set the guard in deeper.

You may also have to adjust the clearance between the trigger and the guard once you set the guard in deeper.
Which means filing the bottom of the trigger so it clears the trigger-guard bow and not messing with the trigger plate.

Gonna have to figure out the search engine here at the site, but a couple or three years back someone posted a lengthy series on modifying the Frontier, including as I recall inletting the trigger guard. Highly informative series of steps and photos worth your search. Only danger I see is stopping at the guard, because so many other very good changes were made to that fine gun.
Crewdawg did one and someone else did too, I can't remember the second person.

I re-did several of these back in the 80's. Replaced the lock, inlet the trigger guard. Put lugs on the barrel and pinned it to the stock, replaced the pipes, inlet a sideplate, put on a nose cap, took off all the extra wood and stained and finished them. It would have been more cost effective if the owners would have kept the flint, sold the rest of the gun and bought a better quality gun.

Either file the trigger down, or bend the trigger guard to clear the trigger, then inlet the guard to only half the depth of the front and back flats on the guard......

Both builds I've done so far (kit guns not factory retrofit), I inlet the guard to half depth as mentioned. Looks much better than just slapping the guard onto the outside of the stock. The latter looks like an afterthought IMO........However I had plenty of room in the guard to do this. I'd of had to rethink things had there been little to no room.

Thanks to all who have responded. Methinks I'll step file the guard and leave the trigger plate as is. I do not want to upset the geometry of the trigger and sear. I shall search the files for the previous posting on in letting a Pedersoli Frontier flintlock trigger guard.

Back