• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Inexpensive Shooting Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the pleasant problem of having a variety of calibers and bores. So I wanted one or more additional shooting bags. While I normally make all my accoutrements, I stumbled across this bag from Crazy Crow Trading on sale for $25.29, and there was no way I could make one for that price. It's 12"x12" tarred canvas, they say it's modeled from mid 18th to early 19th century. I'm sure it's not very authentic, but it won't be used for reinacting. Anyway, if it turns out to be decent and doesn't fall apart I plan to order one or two more. Then add some adornment to each to differentiate its use. We'll see when it comes in. Oh and their shipping was $4.95, so just over $30 total.

Attachments

• IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 6
I'm curious about the formula used to tar canvas. I'm very much into leather but it would be interesting to do something different.

Looks a lot like a Civil War tarred haversack.
My Wife came up for a few days and brought me the bag today. For the price it’s great. Very sturdy, thick canvas. As I suspected the strap is a little short. I’m rather tall and big(fat). So I’ll find one of my old buckles and make a strap extension for it. But I could use it as is. I’m pleased overall.

Crazy Crow has a large leather bag , like 9" by 8" , with a wide gusset. Last one I bought was under $50 plus shipping. I installed a shoulder strap , and a slightly more generous front flap to hide a small day horn beneath the flap , so the horn will be out of the wet weather. Just be careful , large pouches can carry too much stuff , and be heavy for an old guy.

Thanks for the recco; I was looking for something useful, practical and inexpensive, and not necessarily authentic. Sound like your pick fits the bill.

TDM ..........Looks like I'll choose one of my two large Crazy Crow rifle bags I modified , and fill it with stuff for a .555 cal. smooth rifle I'm building , for my smooth rifle investigation.

I have one of those (not tarred) I picked up from them for $20 at the CLA. I couldn't pass it up for that price. I use it to carry all of my extra shooting stuff. Seems well made and will hold up well.

I don't think they are really tarred, more likely painted with a heavy coat of black paint, The one I carried for years (and seen a lot of hard use) as a union solider I would paint at the end of each season. Had about 25 years of use on it and still going strong. I would think an actual tar would be messy, but maybe if you cut the tar pretty thin with a paint thinner and hang out in the sun to dry for a while it might work.

Latest posts

Back