• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian Trade Gun???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, Got to the PC this morning where I can actually see.
The OP is correct! This does not appear to be a Wilson mark like I am familiar with. Wilson had an open asterisk while this is more flower like.

I question these teardropped proofs to be lookalikes of oval London Company proofs. I have never seen authenticated London company proofs that were teardropped in shape. Maybe someone like Joe Puleo would know for sure and be able to provide sufficient documentation to prove it but I have never seen them. Many provincial makers used marks very similar to company marks as a selling point.

If there is a third lock bolt hole behind that sideplate, it is barely covering it.

Wilson's mark registered with the London Gunmakers Co. along with oval London proofs.

Regarding the teardrop proofs, check out the Wheeler NW gun on pages 212 and 213 in Hanson & Harmon,'Firearms of the Fur Trade'. Proofs and makers mark exactly as the one under discussion.

MStriebel, if I were you I would take a bunch of detailed photos, and email or send them down to the Museum of the Fur Trade. Jim Hanson, who probably knows more about this than anyone alive, will give you an objective and honest opinion.

Rod

Rod,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have sent photos and background information to the Museum of the Fur Trade. If I get a response from them, I will be sure to post it on the forum.

Thanks,

Matt

Can't really add anything, but to say this is a super interesting "solving a mystery" type Thread.
This Thread reminds me of the Thread I posted a couple years ago on the Forum requesting more information about an original NWT Fusil I ran into quite by accident, and was able to purchase. With the knowledgeable assistance from Members of this Forum we were able to identify the gun. It was sure fun.
Good luck on your research. Rick. :hatsoff:

Back