• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just read this on an Indian site:

Indian made muskets

Post by Cordite » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:44 pm

Hi Kanwar76

I read those links, very reassuring (I'm literally blown away, pun intended!) by the story of the mercilessly SEVERE C.I.P. proof test done on an Indian Musket in Germany. An enjoyable, edge-of-your-seat read:

"I have been at the proofhouse to get the official test and proof on one of those India muskets that I have ordered for my brother. He and his men are reenacting the Ansbach-Bayreuth Troop of soldiers, send over to the AWI to fight for the British King.

Bad thing - since February this year, we have a new, stronger gun law in Germany. This also means new rules for the gun proof.

What they did was measureing the barrel, then they put 300 grain FF powder plus 2 patched round balls into the barrel and fired it from the musket 5 times!
They measured after each shot. Well the musket made it. Proofstamps on it tells you it is considered "Safe to fire”.

For what it’s worth.

Wow! That is some serious proofing that they do. A load like that sounds more like they are deliberately trying to blow the thing up not proof it.
I bet they had the musket clamped in a vise and a very, very long string tied to the trigger!

I was at a rifle range and I was shooting a .44 Automag at 100yard targets and someone near me had a flintlock clamped in a vise and a long string. The range people asked that anyone close, to stand back while they pulled the string. Seems like someone had double charged the flintlock. It went "boom" but all was ok.

BOOM!

The information concerning the proof of muzzleloading guns in Germany is wrong.
The current German Fire Arms Proof Act came into force on April 1, 2003 .(See BeschG - nichtamtliches Inhaltsverzeichnis) and was last changed in 2020. (Art. 361 VO vom 19. Juni 2020)

A musket of 12 gauge =.69 Cal. will be prooved with about 13 gramm black powder (most of the time Swiss black powder no. 2 is used) and 65 gramm shot. No patched round bullets are used for proof shooting.

The information concerning the proof of muzzleloading guns in Germany is wrong.
The current German Fire Arms Proof Act came into force on April 1, 2003 .(See BeschG - nichtamtliches Inhaltsverzeichnis) and was last changed in 2020. (Art. 361 VO vom 19. Juni 2020)

A musket of 12 gauge =.69 Cal. will be prooved with about 13 gramm black powder (most of the time Swiss black powder no. 2 is used) and 65 gramm shot. No patched round bullets are used for proof shooting.
Well that clarifies things but the poster that I quoted seemed to be relating personal experience, maybe they upped the test for the Indian musket. Do they have discression?

I can see some anti gun committee deliberately destroying firearms with a too heavy proof load. “ sorry your gun didn’t survive our rigorous inspection to keep you safe”….

Latest posts

Back