• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India Origin Guns Won't Shoot ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Below is a photo from my last squirrel hunt, using a Loyalist Arms 20 gauge trade gun, that I painted with oil paint, and a color based on available colors in the 18th century. I missed one so a total of five shots, using 70 grains of 2Fg, and one ounce load of #5 shot, and book-paper for the powder cartridge, which was crush when empty and loaded into the barrel and rammed on top of the powder to form a wad. The shot was loaded using paper cartridges of newsprint, and was left intact when seating onto the wad in the barrel. I plan to take "Red" out this week for the last of the squirrel season...if work permits the time off....

Indian Guns Won't Shoot.jpg

Below is a photo from my last squirrel hunt, using a Loyalist Arms 20 gauge trade gun, that I painted with oil paint, and a color based on available colors in the 18th century. I missed one so a total of five shots, using 70 grains of 2Fg, and one ounce load of #5 shot, and book-paper for the powder cartridge, which was crush when empty and loaded into the barrel and rammed on top of the powder to form a wad. The shot was loaded using paper cartridges of newsprint, and was left intact when seating onto the wad in the barrel. I plan to take "Red" out this week for the last of the squirrel season...if work permits the time off....

View attachment 5392
Dave,
Red is a nice piece!
Good job filling the game bag!
Question on your India Gun: has it been "proofed" and how necessary do you think that is ?

The Sicilian

Thx for posting. Anything special you did to the lock touch hole to get good ignition?
What powder are you using in the pan?
thx

Question on your India Gun: has it been "proofed" and how necessary do you think that is ?

Well I'm a real "stickler" for the term "proofed". To "proof" a gun, it must be submitted to an official proof-house, and pass their test, and receive a proof-mark. ;) Several of our Forum members in the UK and Europe have done this with Loyalist Arms guns without problems. Here in America, you can have a barrel tested, or you can test the barrel yourself while choosing how in depth a test to conduct. Mine came with a piece of fuse, a round ball, and instructions for performing a "proof" [test] of the barrel. So far, so good....

Anything special you did to the lock touch hole to get good ignition?
What powder are you using in the pan?
The only thing that I did was to add the flash guard, the brass piece in the photo, to the outside of the pan so that the piece may be used in reenactments.
The piece came with the touchhole drilled, and ready to shoot, and was sold as a piece to fire with live ammunition as well as blanks.
I use cartridges for the hunting loads, which gives me pre-measured ammunition, and I carry a horn with 3Fg for prime. It's also my horn for my rifle, but whether it's this piece, or my India Origin .65 caliber Serjeant's Carbine, or my Pedersoli 20 gauge SxS caplock, I like to use 2Fg when using live loads. My muskets, either Miroku Charleville or India Origin LLP Bess... I use 1Fg for the main charge when shooting live rounds. (and 3Fg to prime the flinters, always)

LD

Last edited:

View attachment 5392
great job! I love squirrel hunting one of my favorite things to hunt

I got two more this morning at about 11:30 :D
This time I was trying out some 20 gauge, 1/2" fiber wads, lubed with 30:60 beeswax and olive oil, and did 80 grains of 2Fg, and an ounce of #4's. They were both up on a tree about 15-20 yards from me.

Squirrels Feb 2019.jpg

I got two more this morning at about 11:30 :D
This time I was trying out some 20 gauge, 1/2" fiber wads, lubed with 30:60 beeswax and olive oil, and did 80 grains of 2Fg, and an ounce of #4's. They were both up on a tree about 15-20 yards from me.

View attachment 5562
Dave,
You shot a double with that load?!
Its a keeper!!

took my India made Charleville from Veteran Arms out today. Took 14 shots plus the dry firing/flash in the pan at home added up to about 20 strikes and the flint needed to be napped again. Made up some various loads to shoot from Paper cartridges, patch and ball and rasp dimpled larger balls.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 56
took my India made Charleville from Veteran Arms out today. Took 14 shots plus the dry firing/flash in the pan at home added up to about 20 strikes and the flint needed to be napped again. Made up some various loads to shoot from Paper cartridges, patch and ball and rasp dimpled larger balls.
Melnic,
20 seems kind of light before needing knapping.
Was that the original flint?

The Sicilian

View attachment 5392

Loyalist Arms firearms won't let you down, as former dealer (Thank You NY State for closing me down due to the tax load of self employed business people) I can tell you that these guns come ready to shoot, are all tested at the factory in Nova Scotia, and I have hunted with all of mine from them successfully with proper range tested loads.
I use a set of sea service pistols of .20 gauge for squirrel hunting as well! #6 load
Good shooting and more good hunting!

Sicilian,
Yes, original flint. I did not like the angle on it but I let it go just to see what it would do. Frizzen spring is pretty strong on this one which I read is typical. 20 shots per range session is fine with me as by that time I am ready to move on to another gun.

Dave,
You shot a double with that load?!
Its a keeper!!

I thought this posted reply earlier...odd...

As much as I'd like to claim I shot a "brace" of squirrels with a single shot :cool:…, the two yesterday were shot one at a time. :oops:
I got lucky in that the second froze in place while I reloaded after shooting the first. ;)

LD

I thought this posted reply earlier...odd...

As much as I'd like to claim I shot a "brace" of squirrels with a single shot :cool:…, the two yesterday were shot one at a time. :oops:
I got lucky in that the second froze in place while I reloaded after shooting the first. ;)

LD
Dave,
Those cartridges must make for a fast reload!
Don't think I'm that smooth yet that I could've potted the second before his "Uh....where did Bob go?!" moment passed!!

Dave,
Those cartridges must make for a fast reload!
Well it is quicker than measuring out powder and then measuring out shot, but I wouldn't use the word "fast". :D By adding the 1/2" wad it slows down a few extra seconds...
I started using this method because of my Pedersoli SxS 20 gauge caplock, as I hunted with guys with modern shotguns, and they really didn't like waiting around when trying to flush upland birds and hunting over dogs. They can tolerate the "two-cartridge-system". But only because they saw me use the traditional system first, and so the second day out I had prepared cartridges and was a lot faster than the "old school" method, so they were satisfied.

LD

Well it is quicker than measuring out powder and then measuring out shot, but I wouldn't use the word "fast". :D By adding the 1/2" wad it slows down a few extra seconds...
I started using this method because of my Pedersoli SxS 20 gauge caplock, as I hunted with guys with modern shotguns, and they really didn't like waiting around when trying to flush upland birds and hunting over dogs. They can tolerate the "two-cartridge-system". But only because they saw me use the traditional system first, and so the second day out I had prepared cartridges and was a lot faster than the "old school" method, so they were satisfied.

LD
Probably a little more quiet also, if you were worried about spooking game before you were loaded.

Latest posts

Back