• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

India made vs Italian, USA etc, RB accuracy at 50 yds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the preparatory stage of getting the best group possible out of my smoothbore or rifle is a challenge and a different kind of enjoyment/self-satisfaction once I've found the best load for accuracy.
👍 How do I know how good I am -- and what my problems may be -- if I don't know how good the gun is and what it's problems are?

Yep I’m still taking your advice and developing a more accurate load. Your comment on your heavier barrel shooting better is a good one to keep in mind. I know that I shoot better groups with my heavier barreld rifles. Never put that together before. Thanks again I always appreciate your input.
Maybe make a smooth rifle out of a Kentucky or Hawken. Bobby Hoyt would do that for $125. Hmmmm
Bobby will bore your barrel for $60 he just bored a 54 rifle to 58 smooth bore for me about a month ago he did a great job at a very reasonable price you may want to try that instead of complete rebarrel

How I know how good the gun is? I shoot it locked down( bench rest and sand bags for me) just pull the trigger. Of course you may have to change the load as my trade gun shoots best with 120 gr 2f and I started at 80 grs 2f. Also patching the ball usually produces the best groups. Ball size should be appropriate with proper patch for the bore diameter. Suggest you get the bore diameter first and then select the ball and patch combo. I shoot a 20 ga that measures .612 dia, selected a .60 ball dia with a .020 thick patch for a snug fit. Groups under 4in a 50 yds. It is a process so slow down and enjoy the ride.

I've looked at the India guns…I've purchased a British Officers Fusil and a Naval Pistol…and I bought a single barrel percussion smoothbore.

Quality varies. I've had to work on the locks of both fusil and the pistol to take them from flint-shatterers to useable. The percussion smoothbore was perfect. I had to replace one screw, and the is amazing.

I've heard that there are good reliable quality guns from India our there…but I'm only seeing 33% being something I'm really happy with out of the box.

I doubt anyone has purchased a India gun that was equal to pedersoli but the basics are there. I had to tune my lock ( file down the main spring and sear spring and polish the lock parts) to get a better trigger pull . But the basics were there to work on. The guns produces lots of sparks every shot since day one and I have not had to re harden the frizzen. Over the years I have removed unnecessary wood and refinished the stock a couple of times to my personal pleasure. I have to say all that was fun to me and the results are a accurate trade gun that weighs only 7 lbs and it looks great and is the most FUN gun I own.
I paid about $500 for the gun delivered 15 years ago and I'd buy another one from Loyalist Arms again.

Best method I've found for shooting an India made smoothie is chant oohm padi oohm while loading, then do a one legged Irish jig to the line while reciting passages from the Bagahvadgita, then at the line, spin around three times clockwise and then four counterclockwise while chanting Buddha baby, Buddha baby. After the last counterclockwise turn aim at the target while the mandala of life is spinning before your eyes. Should the Buddha smile upon you, your shot will be reincarnated from a miss and move to the next plane of existence as a hit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......

It's very interesting if India is producing good guns. I'm not doubting any reports of that ... just saying that it's interesting. For some years now (20 or more), they've been trying to compete in the musical instrument domain, particularly brass instruments (trumpets, trombones, French horns, tubas, etc.). Their big competition is the Chinese, who are kicking everyone's butts in that domain.

(The following is NOT intended as, or to invite, political commentary. It's just a point about quality from different sources.)

The Chinese, in terms of their musical instruments, continue to have a quality control problem -- primarily, I think, because their attitude is that given the costs for their labor, it's cheaper to just replace an item (no matter how expensive) than to repair it. They've also had some materials and fabrication problems, but in general they've just been killing it in this product area -- and literally killing off various well-established European and American companies. It's been a bit like watching what the Japanese did in the area of optics and cars after WWII. Now, those American and European companies that remain, typically source various parts to the Chinese and then do their own assembly and some of the manufacture.

By the way, a typical price difference is represented by a classic British Besson tuba (~ $13,000) compared to its Chinese clone (~ $4,000). Exactly the same? No, of course not. But awfully close (parts interchange). And of sufficient quality for many professionals to use. In fact, some argue that the Chinese instruments (at least certain well-known models) are BETTER than the English ones in terms of intonation and sound quality.

But the similar (and intended to be competing) products from India ... ? Their production in this area has always been indescribable manure. You can buy a Chinese instrument and used it in school, or at the level of professional musicians (and many now do). But the Indian instruments have been just (universally) absolute junk. You couldn't even get away with using an Indian instrument in middle school.

So if the Indians are producing quality firearms, that is surprising -- and interesting.

Best method I've found for shooting an India made smoothie is chant oohm padi oohm while loading, then do a one legged Irish jig to the line while reciting passages from the Bagahvadgita, then at the line, spin around three times clockwise and then four counterclockwise while chanting Buddha baby, Buddha baby. After the last counterclockwise turn aim at the target while the mandala of life is spinning before your eyes. Should the Buddha smile upon you, your shot will be reincarnated from a miss and move to the next plane of existence as a hit. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......
Seriously folks this works...LIKE A CHARM.

I did this back in college, everyday to make sure that my car would start and I'd get to class on time.

I doubt anyone has purchased a India gun that was equal to pedersoli but the basics are there. I had to tune my lock ( file down the main spring and sear spring and polish the lock parts) to get a better trigger pull . But the basics were there to work on. The guns produces lots of sparks every shot since day one and I have not had to re harden the frizzen. Over the years I have removed unnecessary wood and refinished the stock a couple of times to my personal pleasure. I have to say all that was fun to me and the results are a accurate trade gun that weighs only 7 lbs and it looks great and is the most FUN gun I own.
I paid about $500 for the gun delivered 15 years ago and I'd buy another one from Loyalist Arms again.
I got one3 of mine from MSTCo. and the rest 4, of them from TOTW.

Nope
Indian Guns Don't Shoot...

Squirrels Dec 10.jpg

2019 Squirrel.jpg

Squirrel Last Minute 2022.JPG

I doubt anyone has purchased a India gun that was equal to Pedersoli ...,

True, but then again I didn't pay Pedersoli prices, and the squirrels don't seem to know the difference...

LD

Yes, @Loyalist Dave, the squirrels have no way of knowing the difference.

To better reenact a soldier during the French and Indian War, I wanted a Long Land Pattern King's Musket. Pedersoli does not offer a Long Land Pattern Musket, so when the opportunity came to purchase a Long Land Pattern Musket from Loyalist Arms, the Pedersoli Short Land Pattern was sold to finance the purchase. I don't regret getting the Loyalist Arms Musket.

Can't argue with results. Good point.
Did you paint the stock ?
Yes, I went to the paint store, not the Big Box Home Improvement store, and got some proper oil based paint, and cut it will a little boiled linseed oil, and painted the stock. The color was based on an expensive repro shown on a website, BUT ended up a tad brighter, as I didn't check my color settings on my printer vs my screen. :confused:

It has shown to be a very durable finish though

LD

Yes, I went to the paint store, not the Big Box Home Improvement store, and got some proper oil based paint, and cut it will a little boiled linseed oil, and painted the stock. The color was based on an expensive repro shown on a website, BUT ended up a tad brighter, as I didn't check my color settings on my printer vs my screen. :confused:

It has shown to be a very durable finish though

LD
Nice, I have the same gun. I refinished mine with blo and stain then poly satin. The finish is good but the wood has so many curls and colors in it I think it’s way too busy. I’m going to use paint the next time, if there is a next time.
How does yours do with round balls?

Back