• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In search of...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it is only the angle of the camera, but it appears both your barrels shoot 6" low. Not the end of the world. I looked back, but can't see what you are hunting for. That choked barrel looks ok for turkey at 25 yards tops. Your cylinder bore patterns are quite good considering that, although they are too sparse what I would ever try on a turkey. On the other hand, they look perfect for small game like rabbits and squirrel. Larger flying birds like quail or pheasant you would be ok. Smaller birds like dove, you would be missing half or more of your shots.

So what are you trying to accomplish? Turkey, I would reserve the right barrel for if they are inside of 15 yards. I would then focus on the left barrel as a turkey barrel. Get a heavier load in there, like 1 1/2 ounce or more, and you can stretch it out to 30 if not 35 yards.

For larger birds, I personally feel #7.5 is too small, but I'm no expert on upland hunting. To be clear, you have not tried the most modern Skycheif load as written, although I'm not sure it will make a huge difference. The Skycheif load is as follows. powder- one 1/8" nitro card - shot- one thin overshot card - one oil soaked 1/2" fiber wad

My favorite way is the V.M. Starr method. 1Fg powder - two 3/32" card wads (I use four .050" cards) - shot - one 3/32" card (I use one .050" card)

I would definitely try 1Fg powder, I always see tighter patterns with it.
No particular game. Just trying to get a decent pattern out of the cylinder bore. The hunting I do is usually with #5 shot for squirrels. The 7 1/2 are for clays or a couple times a year for doves.

a good pattern from the cylinder bore side of my 12 gauge Pedersoli SXS. Have had this gun for about 20 years but just recently started looking at patterns on paper. Have tried lots of wads and loads but have not been able to get that pattern I’m happy with. Always walk away thinking I should be able to do better. The choked barrel is good to go but not the cylinder bore side.
I use card wads that I make myself . I have tried the wool felt wads and that didn’t help. I have also tried using paper shotcups and found that to be inconsistent. Up and down with powder and shot but just haven’t found that great pattern yet.
If anyone has found a good load on the cylinder bore side I sure would appreciate a litttle help on this matter. Other wise guess I’ll keep searching....Ha
Been shooting from 25 Yds. Thanks.

On my 10 gauge, I split the wad in half and it gives me better patterns.

Latest posts

Back