• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

In search of...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne/Al

40 Cal.
Reaction score
a good pattern from the cylinder bore side of my 12 gauge Pedersoli SXS. Have had this gun for about 20 years but just recently started looking at patterns on paper. Have tried lots of wads and loads but have not been able to get that pattern I’m happy with. Always walk away thinking I should be able to do better. The choked barrel is good to go but not the cylinder bore side.
I use card wads that I make myself . I have tried the wool felt wads and that didn’t help. I have also tried using paper shotcups and found that to be inconsistent. Up and down with powder and shot but just haven’t found that great pattern yet.
If anyone has found a good load on the cylinder bore side I sure would appreciate a litttle help on this matter. Other wise guess I’ll keep searching....Ha
Been shooting from 25 Yds. Thanks.

a good pattern from the cylinder bore side of my 12 gauge Pedersoli SXS. Have had this gun for about 20 years but just recently started looking at patterns on paper. Have tried lots of wads and loads but have not been able to get that pattern I’m happy with. Always walk away thinking I should be able to do better. The choked barrel is good to go but not the cylinder bore side.
I use card wads that I make myself . I have tried the wool felt wads and that didn’t help. I have also tried using paper shotcups and found that to be inconsistent. Up and down with powder and shot but just haven’t found that great pattern yet.
If anyone has found a good load on the cylinder bore side I sure would appreciate a litttle help on this matter. Other wise guess I’ll keep searching....Ha
Been shooting from 25 Yds. Thanks.
PM me and I will be glad to help sir. What size wool felt have you been using.?

The standard load for a 12 bore is 2.3/4 drms FFg or medium grade powder to 1.1/8 oz of shot, load powder 2.1/8 card wads ,shot. 1/16 overshot card this is what is known has a volume load and is all you need .Most important it depends what you want to use the gun for if it is clays or game pattern it on a board is a waste of time .the pattern shown on the board is a none movement shot a moving shot then the shot pattern is what is known has stringed and total different to a board pattern then a kill is in the swing and follow through .Forget the fancy loads they are not needed
Feltwad

No it isn't. Not patterning a shotgun is like not sighting in a rifle.
I should of been clearer. The part about stringing...a pattern on a board is a 2D image. The cloud of shot is a 3D object.

Many a Pedersoli has been off POA and I have adjusted a few.
I also prefer the faster powders.

No it isn't. Not patterning a shotgun is like not sighting in a rifle.
Can you explain how patterning shot on the board is needed when shooting a moving target and what is the best a true cylinder or a choked barrel at 25 to 30 yards . I would be interested in your theory
Feltwad

For one, you never know if your shotgun is shooting where you point if you don't pattern it. I've had plenty of shotguns over the years that don't shoot 50/50 patterns to the bead. Most were close enough you would never know if you did not pattern them. Some, like my Pedersoli, were so bad I would have flat out missed a turkey at 20 yards if I had not patterned it.

At 25 yards, a cylinder bore is ideal for wing shooting, and can serve for turkey if you do enough testing. If you are asking what I find an ideal pattern, that is tricky, and based on anecdotal evidence. Most of my patterning is done for ducks, and I pattern in a 30" circle. I don't concern myself with percentage, and I fail to see where it has any bearing on effectiveness. Instead, I only focus on the pellet counts. I do the same with turkey, only with a 10" circle. Based on my years of hunting, for ducks, I like to see at least 125 hits in a 30" circle, and I don't really feel good until it is at least 150 hits. Lots of people do with less, but based on my experience, in the real world, 150 is where I feel good as a maximum range that will put 2-3 pellets in smaller ducks, and a couple more in big ducks.

If you would like more information on shot stringing, I think Federal Premium has done the best testing on that of what I have seen. Bob Brister did some cool tests as well, although with slightly lesser value to a hunter. My take away of the research I have done, is a shot stringing is of minimal importance. It is there, but there isn't much you can do about it. In the normal realm of loads used, shot stringing is not that much of a variable, unless you do something crazy like 2 ounces of shot in a 20 gauge. .410 shotguns are particularly bad, and shot strings are way longer with their standard loads, than even huge turkey loads like 2 ounce loads in a 12 gauge.

Thank you for your theory but if it is ok for you then keep using it . For me I disagree has my experience has shown with a standard load there is a big difference in the pattern . But no offence you go your way and i will go mine .
Feltwad

I should of been clearer. The part about stringing...a pattern on a board is a 2D image. The cloud of shot is a 3D object.

Many a Pedersoli has been off POA and I have adjusted a few.
I also prefer the faster powders.
When you go to the faster powder do you reduce the amount ? If so how much? Thanks for the reply.

When you go to the faster powder do you reduce the amount ? If so how much? Thanks for the reply.
I do use a little less yes.
If say the measure was set for 1oz I aim for around 7/8oz measure of powder.
That's for what I call 3f. My powder is just called medium on the bottle.
If I go with what is called fine powder on the bottle and is close to 4f the measure would be on 3/4oz.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice. I'll be back at it next week when this crazy weather moves out. I'll post my results.

I have a very old 1932 gun magazine. Shotguns were patterned on a steel plate( very large) on the side of a moving truck! I think there was a difference in patterns. Must look for this magazine......

Latest posts

Back