• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess buckshot loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwerleater

40 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone shooting their Bess with buckshot?
I tried number 4 buck and got a good close range pattern of shot. I loaded 24 pieces of buck and newspaper wadding above and below it and shot at 25 yds. Heres the target. All 24 are on paper with 23 hits on the silhouette. Its only one pattern cause then I starter shooting ball. I am just I nterested in what all your results have been.

Attachments

• 35A5CE42-9852-4BA2-95A0-82010930BCF7.jpeg
    35A5CE42-9852-4BA2-95A0-82010930BCF7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
I use 9 hand cast 30 cal ball over 100 grains of powder which is basically 00 buckshot in my bess. 50 yards or less is very effective. I use a paper wrapped cartridge for loading.

Hi Britsmoothy,
I was thinking of use of buck on K9s. There are several coyotes lurking around my camp. How far is that big 10 of yours effective with the no4 buck?

Hi Britsmoothy,
I was thinking of use of buck on K9s. There are several coyotes lurking around my camp. How far is that big 10 of yours effective with the no4 buck?
It was near 50yds. To be honest near to dark to shoot. I may of been off aim as it stood broadside. It did get away but Jess tailed it and found it . By the time I got there it was dead.
Forty yards would be better .

To be honest large shot does better.
#3.2&1 work much better on our fox.
Nothing beats pattern.
I shot a fox with my Bess with near 2oz of mixed course shot and it was lights out at about 35 yds plus.

Britsmoothy, I was using an 80 grn. Load of 2f in the Bess. What load are you running on your 10?

I was surprised myself!!! I didn’t expect it to be that good. I want to try it at 30 & 40 yds to see if it’s still a killing pattern for coyotes

Latest posts

Back