• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm sure everyone knew this, except me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Wyman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had a GPR flintlock for about 25 years now, but only shot it occasionally. Mostly shot smokeless arms. In the last few years I have really gotten into muzzleloading, and this rifle is really getting a workout now. As I studied this rifle carefully, and learned more, I discovered that the barrel diameter reduces significantly near the breech. Is this a patent breech??? I always assumed that when the cleaning rod stopped, I was at the breech face. Since this enlightenment, I now use a second cleaning rod with a 9MM jag to pump flush my hot soapy water in this area, while physically scrubbing the wall also. Additionally, I use it to oil and remove oil in this area prior to shooting. Is this of any real benefit. Does anyone else do this???
BTW, I recently purchased a second GPR (caplock) and two cap and ball revolvers, and am looking at a Pedersoli .50 full stock flintlock. It kinda grows on ya. Don't it?

Yes,... The GPR has a "patent breech", and the Pedersoli rifle yore look'n at probably has one too!!

I know the Cabela's Blue Ridge rifle made by Pedersoli, has a patent breech!!

YMHS
rollingb

.......I now use a second cleaning rod with a 9MM jag to pump flush my hot soapy water in this area, while physically scrubbing the wall also. Additionally, I use it to oil and remove oil in this area prior to shooting. Is this of any real benefit. Does anyone else do this???

Yes, TC Hawkens have patent breeches...I happen to use a .30cal brush but it's the same principle of being able to get a lubed patch down in there, twist it around, etc

Yup! It grows on ya.....what a problem too! My wife (I love her dearly) always complains that I have to many BP guns.

She's probably right, but I can't really be sure so I better make some more!

Yup......it grows on ya!

.......I now use a second cleaning rod with a 9MM jag to pump flush my hot soapy water in this area, while physically scrubbing the wall also. Additionally, I use it to oil and remove oil in this area prior to shooting. Is this of any real benefit. Does anyone else do this???

Yes, TC Hawkens have patent breeches...I happen to use a .30cal brush but it's the same principle of being able to get a lubed patch down in there, twist it around, etc

thats what i do also is i use a .30 brush but i also use a cleaning patch on it to wipe the oil out when i git ready to shoot it....it holds the patch good by useing the brass from the brush and i also got one of them adaptors that goes from 8-32 to 10-32 so i can use it with my ramrod since the treads are 8-32..........bob

Permit me to slip another question into this thread. What is the purpose/benefit of a patent breech and when was it developed???

Permit me to slip another question into this thread. What is the purpose/benefit of a patent breech and when was it developed???

Improved ignition...Henry Nock, a London gunsmith of the eighteenth[url] century...in[/url] 1787 he invented `Nock's Patent Breech', the feature of which was that a thin gold or platinum touch-hole instantly communicating the flash to an antechamber within the breechplug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back