• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm really tired of this nonsense...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember during the great .22 drought seeing a post, with a photograph, of a person with over 5000 boxes of .22 long rifle ammunition, claimed he wasn't hoarding, that they could "shoot that up in a weekend". He also had over 500 boxes of 6.5 creedmore. I guess he was preparing for the future??

I remember during the great .22 drought seeing a post, with a photograph, of a person with over 5000 boxes of .22 long rifle ammunition, claimed he wasn't hoarding, that they could "shoot that up in a weekend". He also had over 500 boxes of 6.5 creedmore. I guess he was preparing for the future??
Since you don't know what he did (does?) then you have no idea what he needs.
When I was shooting regular matches, especially steel challenge, I would go through 500 - 1000 rounds in a week.
Shooting 3 gun, 250-750 rounds a week.
When shooting that much, buying large quantities in bulk was the most economical way to go. On one Thanksgiving family outing we went through 5,000 rounds in one day.
I do not make a habit of taking pictures of my ammunition stock, but I do plan ahead and have "enough" that there is no need to complain on line about hoarders.
Prepare for the worst, Pray for the best!

I believe each of us has to be our own judge on how much ammo is too much to stockpile. A global pandemic, supply and manufacturing chain breakdowns, election fears and anti-police unrest all in one year really hit the ammo supply hard. And a bunch of new shooters had their come-to-Jesus moment and bought their first guns for mainly self-defense reasons this year. All those new shooters caused a huge increase in demand that manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with.

I personally have a few hundred rounds of defensive ammo I won't touch, and what I feel to be a reasonable amount for hunting and recreational shooting on hand as well. I did have to somewhat limit my recreational shooting over the summer to make sure I had that supply though. The stuff has just become too hard to find and too expensive to not cut back my shooting at least a little bit. My pockets aren't that deep, anyway, and I couldn't justify stockpiling more than I really need or will use when others are having trouble buying ammo just to keep their homes and family safe.

Guys, a good air pistol or rifle is a good cheap way to stay proficient in shooting. And the more powerful ones you can hunt with, saving your regular ammunition. Just a few shots at a homemade target( an old spoon) after work has helped me tremendously!

Geez, now there will be a shortage of air guns and pellets.

In all honesty. there has been a shortage of air guns and pellets this year.

Last spring when this manure started I sold one of my high end German target air rifles to someone here whose range had closed down and he needed something to shoot in his yard. I used to shoot in the basement when too cold to step outside and take a few shots. The fun of the challenge is there but sadly lacking smoke and bang. Depending on the gun recoil from the powerful spring can be surprising and require a consistent grip for accuracy. The aforementioned target model was recoilless, quite the engineering achievement as the whole mechanism floated on rails in the stock.

I shoot a couple of multi pump bb/pellet rifles in the back yard. I figure if I'm shooting BBs I'm still shooting round balls. I have a break action too and a single shot Benjamin pistol. The pistol is much more accurate than I can shoot. Shooting off hand with open sights with crappy triggers helps teach a good hold and follow through. I find it is real easy to pull a shot.

got 400 54cal round balls 300 50 cal round balls.. almost 1000 shooting patches.. 450 40 S/W rounds does this make me a hoarder?? hell most never seen a flintlock muzzleloader. in my neck of the woods. need to get a round ball mold.

Reading this thread has been very depressing. Never imagined that so many people have such a negative view of the future & what possibilities await us all. Fear-mongering is not a solution to our predicament, it's a symptom. Once we get through this Covid nightmare, the industry will rebound & we will have all the things we need in abundance. So, everybody just needs to relax & let things evolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
The postal system stinks right now. They have lost a rifle that was shipped on the 11 of November and I have not received it or a refund check from them yet. I am also waiting on a barrel that is over a week late and the tracking number has not been updated in a week.
I tell you it's an exercise in patience.
I had a rifle just sitting in the twin-cities postal warehouse for 7-days so filled out their questionnaire and the next day they put it on the plane to Boise. Something to the squeaky wheel idea. I just told them and they came right through. Even had a follow up email the next day from my local post office.

Being prepared - a state of mind -
If you don't have enough supplies - your fault, your fault alone. Not my fault for taking care of my family - your fault for not taking care of yours.
Since Clinton, I have "enough" of all I need for a minimum of at least 1 presidential term.
Most things gun related, 2 presidential terms.
My grown and supposedly independent children with their own children came to me for simple things - like toilet paper - because they decided to live week by week before the great awakening. They are now on the right road to taking care of themselves.
Here's a couple of hints -
Don't buy the "doomsday" supplies that are touted to last for 20 years - that's wasted money.
Buy canned goods and dry goods with a very long shelf life - but things you will and do eat everyday - and rotate the stock.
Do the same with your reloading and loading supplies.
Have "enough" hardware to shoot and hunt with - if you only own 1 or 2 guns and it breaks down - (you get the idea)
Preparing is not the same thing a being a doomsday preppie, prepare smart instead.
Two is one, one is none. Our kids were and are pretty well prepared, the adult grandchildren not as much, but like yours they’re fast learners.

Then there are those that want to talk about their compound bows. Who would ever want to hunt with them new-fangled things.

I do hope you made that statement with tongue-in-cheek, but it's basically true. I had changed to a compound many years ago when my Physical strength started going south. My champagne appetite on a beer income also showed up in some of my muzzleloaders and supplies and will continue on until? I enjoy your posts Crow-Feather.
Squint

WoodnBow
My kids marched to their own drum along time ago. Daddy was just " the old Marine who worried too much". Now they think maybe "PAWPAW" 'aint so wrong after all. The oldest and his clan all have their own carry license and know how to use their weapons of choice. The youngest and his clan are all about cooking any and everything. If its edible then he has it stored and ready. I have taught them all how to fire weapons and care for them selves. PAWPAW has a way to go yet. Survival now depends on them and they better learn it quick. I may not be around for all of them. Me and the Missus will do our best for them but at our age and income we can only do so much.
DL

Last edited:
"Reading this thread has been very depressing. Never imagined that so many people have such a negative view of the future & what possibilities await us all."

Without being political, think how much has changed.

For those who are old, which is most of us are, remember the 1968 Gun Act and how easy it was to buy a firearms prior to it?
What is entailed to buy a modern gun now?

I remember buying rim fire shells at 7-11. Also remember not being able to find them recently.

Remember buying 30-30 shells in hardware stores. Can't find them now.

Remember being able to find BP guns, kits and BP locally easily. None available.

Remember being able to order BP guns from Cabelas and Bass and having it sent to your house. Not now.

Remember it being easy to order BP supplies, Not so easy now.

Without being negative, what is there to look forward to after looking in the rear view mirror?

@FishDFly

Remember being able to order BP guns from Cabelas and Bass and having it sent to your house. Not now.

Other than a couple states that have specific regs, why can't you? Everyone else does. Or is this a Cabelas/BPro specific problem?

I do hope you made that statement with tongue-in-cheek, but it's basically true. I had changed to a compound many years ago when my Physical strength started going south. My champagne appetite on a beer income also showed up in some of my muzzleloaders and supplies and will continue on until? I enjoy your posts Crow-Feather.
Squint
Yes it is for humor only, I also have a compound. I shoot regular bow at Rondys though.

@FishDFly

Other than a couple states that have specific regs, why can't you? Everyone else does. Or is this a Cabelas/BPro specific problem?

It's specific to them after they were sued. Their lawyers said enough is enough.

You can order, but have to go to a store to pick it up.

In store you cannot cock a gun any more as reported here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back