• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition temperatures?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wink

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone provide the ignition temps for Black Powder, Pyrodex and 777?

In the 1981 Hodgdon booklet titled "Hodgdon Pyrodex/Black Powder Shooters Handbook", there is an article by Layne Simpson titled "Sure-Fire Big Game Hunting with Pyrodex (tm) RS", where Layne states Pyrodex's "...ignition temperature of 600 degrees F is higher than that of black powder which ignites at 350 degrees F...".
I can't help with the Triple 7 specs.
Larry

Black powder definitely has a lower ignition temp than synthetics do. That's why it is only recommended for flint locks. Exact temps ,I don't know, but that info is available on line.

After some research I can say:

Pyrodex is said to have an auto-ignition temperature of 740 degrees F. (Material Safety Data Sheet)

Hodgdon Triple Seven seems to be difficult to find a ignition temperature for.
I suspect that it is perhaps a little less than Pyrodex, at least in the pellet form. Hodgdon says that both the Triple Seven and Pyrodex pellets need a 209 primer to fire them but it coats the rear of the Pyrodex pellets with black powder as a starter while the Triple Seven pellets do not have this starter.

"Black Mag claims an ignition temperature of 345 C while black powder ignites at 300 C." per an article in Blackpowder Journal Vol 1, No 4.
That would be 572 degrees F for black powder and 653 degrees for Black Mag.

When all is said and done, Black powder has the lowest temperature ignition requirement and none of the rest of the new black powder substitutes work worth a damn in a Flintlock. :grin:

Because Black Powder has the lowest ignition point I feel that it will always give more reliable, faster ignition in any muzzleloading firearm so if a choice is to be made a person would be wise to use it if they can find it.

It took me a few days (I work our of town)But I found some answers.
BLACKPOWDER Ignites at 480 degrees.
Pyrodex and triple 7 ar 740 degrees.
A little nore information.
Standard #11 cap when fired is at 3,024 degrees.
Magmum #11 cap when fired is at 3,7171 degrees.
#2 musket cap when fired is at 3,717 degrees.
3209 shotgun primer fired is at 3,024 degrees.
All information came from Dave Ehrig's book. :thumbsup:
I agree with Zonie, I use Blackpowder. :hatsoff:

Back