• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify this colt pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marplot I think you will find that 45grns 3F will be a pretty accurate load if you place 1-2 felt lubed wads under the round ball.
Shooting 'compressed' charges that places the balls close to being level with face of the cylinder produces better accuracy & groups.
Same charge will also work well with a lubed wad or two behind a projectile.
The Uberti I have shoots best with .454 dia balls.
Tip; The vents in stock italian nipples tend to not be very uniform causing erratic grouping.
I replace nipples on my revolvers with Tresco nipples to get consistent grouping.
Have fun !!
Relic shooter

Those early attempts when they loaded the conical bullets backwards was the first try at improving stopping power. The wide flat base made for a harder hitting bullet. We do that today with Keith style flat nose bullets too. I remember guys loading 148 grain wadcutter bullets in their .38s to get that huge hollow point effect out of the hollow base. Granted that may have not really worked all that well. But they did look great though.

The early first batches of the Colt Walkers used cast iron that was of questionable metallurgy. Even if they made the cylinder walls more thick it may have not made a difference with the brittle cast iron of that era. They had some blow out a chamber with a standard load too. Not just with a max load. They had to make the Dragoons to get over the bad reputation that Walkers may have gotten at the time.

50-60g per shot is going to get real expensive quick.
According to one pound is about 7,000 grains. Divided by 60gr is about 117 per shots. And $30/pound (I just paid) for BP equates to about 26cents each. Hmm.

I see 45 ACP - 230 Grain TMJ - Speer LAWMAN - 1000 Rounds · 6 Review(s). Regular Price: $455.00. Special Price: $430.00. 43.0¢ per round. 66 ; 45 ACP - 230 Grain FMJ.

An Uberti, but Walker? Dragoon?

The picture is of a Colt M1847 "Walker". Some replica gun catalogs show a section for "Walker/Dragoon" i.e. both models as a group. Dragoons were developed later to provide somewhat "lighter" side-arms (revolvers) of high power, though lighter than the Walker.. Many folks have taken this to mean there is something called a Walker Dragoon. 'Tain't so at all. Still the ads on Gun Broker still very often refer to "Walker Dragoon". So it has become a persistent error in our culture. Bugs me some, but I've (mostly) gotten over it.

The picture is of a Colt M1847 "Walker". Some replica gun catalogs show a section for "Walker/Dragoon" i.e. both models as a group. Dragoons were developed later to provide somewhat "lighter" side-arms (revolvers) of high power, though lighter than the Walker.. Many folks have taken this to mean there is something called a Walker Dragoon. 'Tain't so at all. Still the ads on Gun Broker still very often refer to "Walker Dragoon". So it has become a persistent error in our culture. Bugs me some, but I've (mostly) gotten over it.
I wondered why it was called a Walker Dragoon. It seemed it should be one or the other. Thanks for the clarification.

It seemed to me that over-eager-zealous cowboy/ranger were over charging the Walker, so Colt made the Dragoon with a shorter cylinder so that no-one would no longer have the ability to overcharge it.

The Walker was not being overcharged; the problem arose from the poor quality metal being used in the cylinders. Many of them were defective, and burst.

The Dragoon wouldn't hold as much powder, and that seemed to correct the problem of defective cylinders bursting. The Walker provided more power and was larger than desired. In addition to a shorter cylinder, the barrel was shortened by 1-1/2" (IIRC).

There were other changes, but these were the most notable.

Back