• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identify this colt pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An Uberti, but Walker? Dragoon?

Attachments

• download (6).png
    download (6).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • download (8).png
    download (8).png
    587.9 KB · Views: 0
So. Would it use a 60 grain charge?

Generally speaking, I believe you can put as much powder in the chamber as it will hold while still allowing the ball to seat below the chamber mouth. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do so.

I would agree that the subject revolver is a reproduction of an 1847 Walker. I don’t know the capacity of its chambers.

Sixty grains is a lot for a handgun. I shoot 55 grains in my .50 caliber rifle. Take a look at the chamber walls of that Walker cylinder and ask yourself if you would shoot a rifle with a barrel wall that thin. Samuel Colt had reasons for discontinuing the Walker.

I’m sure there is a lot of cachet in shooting one of these, especially one loaded to maximum capacity. However, if I were you, I would consult a reliable black powder loading manual and follow the recommendations.

Just my opinion.

Good luck, and be safe.

Notchy Bob

So. Would it use a 60 grain charge?
Just to qualify this pistol as being a Walker. Not that I would shoot it above 35grains. I just want to have a bp supergun!

Rumor has it the Walker was the most powerful handgun until the .357 Magnum. But there is a good reason why it was classified as a "Horse Pistol".
I think it was called a "horse pistol" because it was carried on a horse. I think there was a double holster that draped over the saddle with a hole in the middle over the pommel to keep the rig from sliding.

Also, the Walker was made to kill Comanches' horses.

Generally speaking, I believe you can put as much powder in the chamber as it will hold while still allowing the ball to seat below the chamber mouth. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do so.

I would agree that the subject revolver is a reproduction of an 1847 Walker. I don’t know the capacity of its chambers.

Sixty grains is a lot for a handgun. I shoot 55 grains in my .50 caliber rifle. Take a look at the chamber walls of that Walker cylinder and ask yourself if you would shoot a rifle with a barrel wall that thin. Samuel Colt had reasons for discontinuing the Walker.

I’m sure there is a lot of cachet in shooting one of these, especially one loaded to maximum capacity. However, if I were you, I would consult a reliable black powder loading manual and follow the recommendations.

Just my opinion.

Good luck, and be safe.

Notchy Bob
Yes, I also use 50grains in my .54 Cal Jeager.
The early Walkers had fluted cylinders that could blow up when max to overload.

I don't plan to shooting 60grains! Just to just have bp supergun!

I think it was called a "horse pistol" because it was carried on a horse. I think there was a double holster that draped over the saddle with a hole in the middle over the pommel to keep the rig from sliding.

Also, the Walker was made to kill Comanches' horses.
Yes, it was carried in pommel holsters - because it tended to pull one pants down.

Actually to kill angry Mexicans. Interestingly, Sam Walker was killed by a lance before the guns arrived.

45g fffg will get you to .357 mag levels. i don't think you could seat the ball over 65g. will have to see with my repop.
the reason the early Walkers blew up was the guy's were used to loading nothing but ball in a handgun. many loaded the conical reversed . steering sucked and they let go.
the Walker IS the BP supergun.

It was the metallurgy of the original Walkers’ cylinders that was the problem.
I would agree, in that the original cylinders were made of iron. The steel cylinders in today's reproductions are almost certainly stronger. However, I don't think the metallurgy changed much between production of the Walker and the Dragoons that followed. Reducing the cylinder length of the Dragoons, as compared to the Walkers, reduced the chamber capacity so they wouldn't hold as much powder as a Walker. I'm sure that helped, with regard to safety.

I had also read the same thing cited by @deerstalkert (post #11), that some of the men seated the conical bullets with the points down, thinking this would make them easier to seat and also allow just a few more grains of powder. As Mr. Deerstalkert said, this proved to be a bad idea.

I looked through some of the references I have, and most reported 55 grains as the maximum recommended load for a Walker reproduction, with 45-50 grains (depending on the author) as optimal. I don't know the minimum load that would work without a filler to take up some of the space. I imagine 45 grains of FFFg would be plenty!

Notchy Bob

I've fired a 60 gr charge in mine before. It was just mainly for an experiment to see how it shot and because I could. I didn't notice any real difference other than people coming out of the range shack wondering what in the heck I was shooting. Those Walkers aren't very practical in my opinion other than for nostalgia, a hoot to shoot and powerful firearms from the past with a great history behind them. I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

Please forgive the slight off topic. I only mention this because of the reference to supergun. IIRC the factory manual for a ROA stated that it could safely shoot a load of 40g 4F powder. I couldn't be bothered with using cornmeal filler so I shot full loads of 3F powder at paper plates at 50 yards. My buddy had a Walker and shot full loads and was flipping over cow pattys off the deck. He returned his after a month because the action had loosened up and couldn't be tightened any better. It was a 1970's Italian I believe.

I don't use any filler either, and I am not interested in reduced loads. I don't shoot my Walker reproduction very often, but I do I only shoot heavy loads. There would be no other reason to shoot it. I have plenty of smaller 44 and 36 guns, and one 30 caliber gun if I want to shoot lighter loads.

As everyone has said, it is a Walker, if you zoom in on the box you will see both in the lower right side and clearly the Walker does not have a catch on the barrel for the loading lever and the Dragoon does.

Back