• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identification Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden911

Pilgrim
Reaction score

I got this rifle and I have no clue what it is, I was trying to look at all the markings and tell manufacturer, date, etc. I found the top and bottom markings on different websites, seems to be a birmingham proof and birmingham view, 1813-1904. But as for the middle one... I cant find it anywhere. Anyone have any clue?

Along with the barrel markings the lock plate reads: R S Clark Extra

The top of the barrel seems to read "London" to the best I can see it.

The story I got before I purchased this rifle was that he was told it was originally a flintlock and was converted to caplock for the civil war. I am not ever sure if that is possible, I know very little about muzzle loaders.

and now here is just pictures with no commentary.

Thank you in advance

It's a Birmingham mark found on a lot of barrels ,mostly flintlocks, at this point no one is sure of it's meaning .

The best information I have found regarding the tombstone barrel mark is found on this link. http://www.birminghamgunmuseum.com/media/The_Tombstone_Mark.pdf Are you sure your gun is a rifle? It looks more like a smooth bore to me. Is there any rifling in the barrel? You are correct about the two Birmingham proofs. As to have originally been a flintlock, Most back action type lock systems were made during the mid to late percussion era. ca.1840-1870 time frame. There is a chance that your piece may have been made with a back action type of flintlock that was used by the English and imported for the African trade. Here is a picture of just this sort of lock.
JsGuns025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I ain't no expert, but I would be willing to bet that that gun was never a flintlock.
There were thousands of military flintock muskets converted to percussion for the Civil War, but what you have is not a military musket. There is an even chance - maybe even a better than even chance - that it is post-Civil War.
All one needs to do is look at powder horns on Ebay to know that descripitions/stories and reality are often miles apart from each other.

I can not tell if there was any rifling in the barrel at some point or not, it has been allowed to surface rust beyond the point of seeing anything like that, but I would say it is most likely smooth barrel now that you mention it.

Imported hardware store quality shotgun. 1860-1880. Worth about $100 - $200 as a wallhanger. I have one similar to it hanging in the front room with a bag and horn. Cheap original art.

My humble opinion....

Hello:

Contrary to what is claimed in a previous post, a spark barrel (barrel), made ”‹”‹by the percussion drum set, that is to enlarge the ear and thread a threaded cylinder, which in turn is screwed onto the hearth (nipple)

Fernando K

Laffindog is correct, it is a light weight, lower grade shotgun made between 1860 and maybe 1880. It has a British barrel and may have been imported to the US from there but it is also possible that it is an American made gun using a British barrel.

It is not now nor was it ever a rifle and certainly not a military gun.

There is no question that it "could" have been converted from a flintlock however the existing stock does not seem to have the necessary mortice cut into the stock that is needed to clear the lockplate area that supports a flintlocks frizzen (battery, hammer) and the feather spring.

The lock looks typical of the backaction percussion locks common in the 1840-1860 period.

It is a nice enough looking little shotgun, in decent condition. It would be a nice wall hanger, or perhaps a good gun to study if you wanted to build a modern counterpart. I have always had a fondness for these back action lock guns. Even a cheap arm in the 19th century was far and away better quality, in terms of fit and finish, than most of the stuff we buy today.

Back