• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identification Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt_789

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, I just came across this forum, and this looks like the perfect place for help... I have attached 3 photos of my Dad's rifle. I can find no markings on it other than the words "cast steel" on the barrel. Any help in identifying the era, manufacturer, etc. would be greatly appreciated. There is still wax inside the wax box (I think that is what it was called...)

Thanks,

-Mark
IMG20231122143932.jpg
IMG20231122143951.jpg

Well, you have a very nice under-hammer, caplock rifle, with a rather unique action. It looks a little like an Allen hammer arrangement, but it may be a 20th century adaptation of the Allen style. OR it might just be related to a Ruggles New England Underhammer, but Ruggles apparently did mostly single shot pistols, unless this is a pistol action adapted into a rifle. It's possible too that a modern builder copied part of the Ruggles action and adapted it for a rifle. There are likely folks better suited to ID this for you, or give you more clues. Nice Piece!

LD

There were many makers of Underhammer guns. Once the percussion cap supplies were plentiful, a lot of gunsmiths made the action, as it was less expensive with fewer parts to forge and file out. You may have a homemade parts gun, or a very collectible rare rifle. Hopefully an expert will read this and I d it.

Just checking to see if anyone else has any opinions? If it is homemade or a one off, it seems like they went to a lot of trouble with the details, especially on the patchbox. I have been searching the internet to find any other gun with a similar style box that latches open at the end of the stock, but no luck yet.

Latest posts

Back