• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my recreation of the Shenandoah Valley double pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted some pictures of a period double pouch a week or two ago. I liked it so much I decided to make one for myself.
This is the original; it is about 7 1/2 inches square.

IMG_20240511_101447_1[1].jpg

I made a pattern from memory and cut out the pieces.

IMG_20240519_152548[1].jpg

I also poured a couple of button blanks using a mold made from a wood scrap and a spade bit.

IMG_20240519_152827[1].jpg

I sewed on the buttons and strap first, sewing a reinforcement patch for the strap button on the inside. The strap on the original had been repaired, sewn and resewn several times with a small buckle added at some point. I couldn't tell what the original strap adjustment was, so I went with the button as I know there are other period Shenandoah Valley bags that use this type of fastening.

IMG_20240520_125219[1].jpg

order of assembly.
IMG_20240519_152702[1].jpg

Front and back of the finished bag
IMG_20240521_204342[1].jpg

IMG_20240521_204324[1].jpg

The stitching on the original is pretty rough, so I didn't worry too much about neat stiches. I put a button on the front simply because I like the look; given the construction, if I decide I prefer no button like the original it will be an easy matter to cut the flap off and sew on a new one with no button hole. So far I like it, it rides well and carries more than you might think it would.

Excellent.
I have a question on the original. Are there two lines of stitch? It almost looks like there is both a line like a lazy running stitch (I almost thought it was laced) and a saddle stitch.

I read somewhere that you can use oven cleaner to antique leather.
True, but personally I don't like the look of artificial aging of guns or accoutrements. A 150 year old gun or pouch didn't look 150 years old when it was made, and I don't think it makes us look more authentic when we carry artificially aged equipment.

But that's my opinion. If you like the look, go for it. Many people do.

I posted some pictures of a period double pouch a week or two ago. I liked it so much I decided to make one for myself.
This is the original; it is about 7 1/2 inches square.

View attachment 321907
I made a pattern from memory and cut out the pieces.

View attachment 321909
I also poured a couple of button blanks using a mold made from a wood scrap and a spade bit.

View attachment 321910
I sewed on the buttons and strap first, sewing a reinforcement patch for the strap button on the inside. The strap on the original had been repaired, sewn and resewn several times with a small buckle added at some point. I couldn't tell what the original strap adjustment was, so I went with the button as I know there are other period Shenandoah Valley bags that use this type of fastening.

View attachment 321912
order of assembly.
View attachment 321915

Front and back of the finished bag
View attachment 321916

View attachment 321917
The stitching on the original is pretty rough, so I didn't worry too much about neat stiches. I put a button on the front simply because I like the look; given the construction, if I decide I prefer no button like the original it will be an easy matter to cut the flap off and sew on a new one with no button hole. So far I like it, it rides well and carries more than you might think it would.
I think that pouch you made is outstanding! It is very nicely put together and is a very good representation of a genuine original. I am also impressed by those buttons… they show very creative thinking and they look really good.

I do have a question, if you don’t mind. What type and weight of leather did you use?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back