• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Rifle Build, 2nd Try

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a little time today to outline the tang and panel moldings, and start shaping the one side. I’m happy with it. Once they are all shaped I will see if they need to be smallered.

Attachments

• IMG_2127.jpeg
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think I am about done. I will remove some more wood from the forestock but that’s about all, then begin with the staining and varnishing.
I’m a bit exhausted with this project but glad I took it on. I have learned a lot with it, and hopefully this .62 rifle will be a nice shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_2145.jpeg
    IMG_2145.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
The gun is stained, varnished and reassembled. I will let it cure for a while and then apply some paste wax and then she’s ready to rip.
I will post some better pictures later.

Attachments

• IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Thanks guys. Taking on this project became a challenge from the beginning. But I figured that learning isn’t always easy and it’s definitely not. But there are some here ( you know who you are) who patiently supported and educated me along the way. Thank you.
I honestly don’t know what I need with this carbine except for the novelty of it. The parts were a gift to me from a fellow Dulcimer builder (a Master luthier actually) and as such it will be a reminder to me of Ken’s wonderful spirit and friendship. It might even be great on a woods walk (might be a cheating edge with that large ball!).
Anyway thanks for looking and for your kind words 🙂
I will definitely update this thread with some info on how it performs.

I was doing some trial shooting with the carbine this afternoon. I had some .595 round ball handy (I have to cast some .61’s). Started with 60 grains 3f and then for my last several shots went to 70 grains. Shot off the bench at 25 yards. I think it’s in the neighborhood where I can work with it!
Then just for fun took a pot shot at 50 yards. Man I like this gun!

Attachments

• IMG_2231.jpeg
    IMG_2231.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a .610 mold, I'd have sent you some ball to try.

Just curious, why the jump from .595 to .610 skipping over .600?
Hi Brokennock- I have lots of the .595's that I use in my Fusil de Chasse so I tried them out just for heck. They loaded with simple thumb pressure and I was surprised at how well they shot.
I am 'jumping' to a .610 because that's the mold I have and I cast 30 balls with it. A .600 or .605 would be nice to try if the .610's don't preform well.

I have been sighting in and load developing my new .62 rifled “British Carbine” at home, and I am so surprised at how well I can shoot with it. Below is my target- 3 of 4 rounds in the 10x.
It has an Ed Rayl barrel with round-bottom rifling with a 1/72" twist.
I use 80 grains of Scheutzen 2F powder and a .610 cast round ball with spit-patch of .018 pillow ticking.
I have it sighted in for 5O yards (I can actually hit the 10X at that distance with this gun!).
Yesterday I went to a range with my buddies, and wanted to see how it did at the 100 yard mark.
Sure enough, without changing my sight picture or load, I had shot consistently in the black, with several shots in or touching thr 10 ring! There is no drop from 50 to 100 yards!
On a whim I decided to try a shot at the 200 yard target, a man-size metal torso and head metal gong. I aimed about 6 inches above the fellow ( resting my rifle across a box). My gun fired but I heard no hit. At first. About three seconds later I hear the thud as the ball smacked that steel!
I repeated this twice more with the same results. When I saw the target, I could see the three splatter marks in the lower third of the torso. I guess the ball dropped about 24 inches or so at 200 yards.
I was so surprised at what I was able to do with the rifle and have determined that this gun with its Ed Rayl barrel is the best muzzleloading rifle I have ever shot.

Attachments

• IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2184.jpg
    IMG_2184.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2191.jpg
    IMG_2191.jpg
    619.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg