• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unmarked percussion muzzle loader hunting rifle identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syoung

32 Cal
Reaction score
Need help identifying this rifle.
I have been cleaning it up and looking for markings but there are none of any kind. The animal insets tell me its for hunting but i cant find anything like it. Could this be an old kit??
1000002179.jpg
1000002175.jpg
1000002177.jpg

Attachments

• 20240216_143211.jpg
    20240216_143211.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240216_143155.jpg
    20240216_143155.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Very unique percussion long arm. Most of what I see are parts someone has fashioned from what was available to them at the time. No attempt to reproduce anything other than to create something that will shoot. The animals are interesting. My question would be regarding the barrel/breech/nipple because those are the parts that can kill people when fired.

I'm interested in knowing the origin of this piece. At first glance, the wood's similar to oak, a decidedly odd choice for stocking firearms. The patchbox is nearly identical to ones we used to see on cheap muzzle loaders produced to be sold to "natives" . So ...where did this piece originate?

I collect a lot of old handyman and do it yourself books and magazines from the 1950’s to 1970’s. They have had plans for muzzle loading rifles and pistols in them. This looks very similar, whoever made it did an ok job. I’d tie it to a tire and fire it with a long, long string before I held it to shoot to be careful.

Need help identifying this rifle.
I have been cleaning it up and looking for markings but there are none of any kind. The animal insets tell me its for hunting but i cant find anything like it. Could this be an old kit??
View attachment 295450View attachment 295451View attachment 295452
No disrespect, but looks like a pretty clumsy ‘custom’ contemporary build, though that doesn’t mean it won’t shoot, possibly very well. Enjoy it for what it is.

Very unique percussion long arm. Most of what I see are parts someone has fashioned from what was available to them at the time. No attempt to reproduce anything other than to create something that will shoot. The animals are interesting. My question would be regarding the barrel/breech/nipple because those are the parts that can kill people when fired.

I'm interested in knowing the origin of this piece. At first glance, the wood's similar to oak, a decidedly odd choice for stocking firearms. The patchbox is nearly identical to ones we used to see on cheap muzzle loaders produced to be sold to "natives" . So ...where did this piece originate?
This is 1 of 2 my father left to me (Colorado). There is a pistol and a really weird looking rifle too. These all came from his dad from northern California. That's all I really know. Mom doesn't know anything additional.
Here's a pic of the weird rifle..

Attachments

• 20240217_172702.jpg
    20240217_172702.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240217_172717.jpg
    20240217_172717.jpg
    788.8 KB · Views: 0
No disrespect, but looks like a pretty clumsy ‘custom’ contemporary build, though that doesn’t mean it won’t shoot, possibly very well. Enjoy it for what it is.
None taken. I had a guy look at the 2 guns once before and he also said it appeared to be a homemade "custom" gun.

I collect a lot of old handyman and do it yourself books and magazines from the 1950’s to 1970’s. They have had plans for muzzle loading rifles and pistols in them. This looks very similar, whoever made it did an ok job. I’d tie it to a tire and fire it with a long, long string before I held it to shoot to be careful.
Thanks! I thought maybe a kit or similar as well.

This is 1 of 2 my father left to me (Colorado). There is a pistol and a really weird looking rifle too. These all came from his dad from northern California. That's all I really know. Mom doesn't know anything additional.
Here's a pic of the weird rifle..
Weird indeed, but weird for all the right reasons.
It’s a Schutzen breech loader [so doesn’t really belong here, but as it’s part of a ml post and relevant] and looks to be a good one.
The lump for the nipple looks to be electric welded on, so a long string test is probably warranted, however if it shows evidence of much use it’s probably OK, but a good test still wouldn’t hurt.
Interesting piece none the less.
Edit.
Just had another look at the Schutzen, looks like it might be a “mouse gun”, that is one with a short barrel at the front designed for target shooting indoors.

Last edited:
Weird indeed, but weird for all the right reasons.
It’s a Schutzen breech loader [so doesn’t really belong here, but as it’s part of a ml post and relevant] and looks to be a good one.
The lump for the nipple looks to be electric welded on, so a long string test is probably warranted, however if it shows evidence of much use it’s probably OK, but a good test still wouldn’t hurt.
Interesting piece none the less.
I certainly appreciate the info! Was gonna research this one soon as well. It is very clean. New to the "string test" though.

Latest posts

Back