• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ideal buckshot size for 20 gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchmanDick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the "ideal" size buckshot for a 20 gauge? By that, I mean what will more-or-less neatly stack in layers? Seems like 00 buck might be a bit large, as 2 of them next to each other is just over bore diameter on my NWTG (.618 bore), and just under bore diameter on my Middlesex howdah pistol (.629 bore).

The "ideal" size depends in part in what you are loading for - defense, deer, coyotes, etc. You want the shot sized to sit in even layers, or the forces involved will wedge them against the sides, with much greater deformation, and scrubbing on the bore if not protected. The proportions between the diameter of buckshot that would sit in even layers and the diameter of your bore (or the minimum of your choke, or inside the shotcup, or inside the shotcup passing through your choke, etc.) are:

- 2: 1/2 * the minimun diameter of bore, choke, or inside of shotcup
- 3: .4639 * the minimum diameter "
- 4: .4142 * the minimum diameter "
- 5(+1 in centre between layers): .36± * the minimum diameter "
- 7: 1/3 * the minimum diameter "

I suspect that normally, one would use something a hair smaller than the "exact fit" size to allow for imperfections, fouling, etc. I've never seen anyone calculate for layers of more than 7 - probably by then, one can just treat them as loose shot.

Regards,
Joel

That's an interesting table you present there, I'll have to file that for future reference, thanks!
As to 20 gauge buckshot, there is probably good reason why ammo makers load only two sizes, #2 buck and #3 buck.

in Oregon there is a min size of shot leagal for Deer so one cannot get the best stack and be leagal for Deer but I found that the .030 even though they do not stack as such when put atop a ball offer a good pattern out to 15 yds or more, I don't know about such restrictions in other states that might infuence what one uses.

Latest posts

Back