• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID this lock and mainspring help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to idenify the lock on my 24 ga trade gun. I bought this used a couple months back and the lock is much slower than my caplocks and Pedersoli Mortimer rifle. I'm a noob with flintlocks so I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants here. Do I need a new mainspring or can the old one be reworked, thoughts?

Attachments

• 0406221117.jpg
    0406221117.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 0406221117a.jpg
    0406221117a.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 0406221117b.jpg
    0406221117b.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 87
If the mainspring seems to have good resistance when cocking the hammer it is probably more of an issue of smoothing and lubricating all of the surfaces that move/touch each other. It looks like it could use a good refurbishing.

Could be a North Star West lock. Probably as rough/smooth and slow/fast as originals, which on trade guns were mediocre quality. As above, polish bearing surfaces carefully and get some oil on it and see if you can get improvement. Ignition speed on a flintlock is also dependent on your touchhole.

The stamp on the lock looks like a Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders touchmark. You could try contacting them for parts, although I would try previous posters suggestions first.

It looks to be a North Star Enterprises trade gun lock made in Dayton, OH by Curly Gostomski, probably from the ‘80s.
You can see just a bit of the North Star logo on the inside of the plate.
Curly was a mainstay in the muzzleloading field for many years and was known for making Trade Guns and triggers, nipple wrenches and other muzzleloading accessories.

Latest posts

Back