• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I shot my Jukar today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. S

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello. First post. I'm from PA and got my first muzzleloader probably more than 30 (could have been 25 years ago) years ago now. It was a TC Renegade, .50 caliber flintlock. I owned it for a few years, then sold it to someone that wanted it badly. I had purchased it to use in Pennsylvania's flintlock season for deer. I never had a chance for a shot at a deer while I owned it, although I did really enjoy shooting it.

I was without any kind of muzzleloader for quite a few years after that. Shooting interests had me using other tools for hunting and recreational shooting. Probably five or six years ago now, I purchased an unmentionable ML made by New England Firearms. I did take a plump doe with that two years ago. Also, a year after getting that ML, I purchased a TC Flintlock, a Firestorm. So far, no deer have crossed my sights while hunting with it. It has been reliable, though not very traditional.

Now to the subject of this first post. About four years ago, an older gentlemen that I had know for a number of years gave me a muzzleloader for helping him with some computer issues at his home. I thanked him warmly since I do enjoy firearms/guns of pretty much all types. Honestly at the time, I didn't look it over very closely other than to notice that it was a percussion lock and a full stock.

A couple of weeks ago I took it out of the gun cabinet and started to look it over. All I saw on the barrel was "Jukar 0005575 Spain". No caliber designation, no other information. I tried some bullets I had on hand just at the muzzle, and felt pretty confident that it was a .45 caliber. So, I joined this forum to get more answers and just to lurk and read.

While doing that, I picked up/ordered some supplies. Today since I was off, I went to the range. It was chilly here in SW PW when I headed over. About 28 degrees but a very nice clear day. I shot it at 25 and 50 yards. Started with 45 grains of Goex 3F and worked up to 60 grains, while stopping at 50 in-between. If I can successfully get the pictures to attach, you can see the results.

I swabbed the bore after every three shots. The Hornady .440 RB with Ox-Yoke .015 Wonder Patches seems to work well. The only caps I could locate at the local Gander MT. are Winchester Magnum caps.

Spending time at the range with this Jukar today has reawakened more than a casual interest in muzzleloading in me. I have started thinking about building a kit if funds permit sometime, haha. Well, thanks for reading this far and sorry for the long and rambling post.

All the best,

Rick

As many have stated here before, those rifles do shoot well. Yours appears to be well preserved, factory finnished.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I wasn't even sure if it would shoot, haha. It didn't do too bad. Maybe I will use it next early muzzleloading deer season here in PA. Late season comes in after Christmas and is flintlock only.

Thanks,

Rick

I still have the TC Firestorm. I would like to build a .54 caliber kit. Funding issues right now though :)

Rick

I have about the same rifle (though they seem to vary) Two quick thoughts, 1) My trigger was sand cast & rough as could be everywhere it could not be seen (they just polished the part that showed instead of the part that rubs) Half an hour with some fine grit sandpaper made a ton of difference in trigger pull. :wink:

2) My ram rod was less than good, *junk* there are some fine posts on the forum about wood grain in a ramrod. Use the search to find & read them. A bad rod can brake sharp and do a number on your hand :shocked2:

Have fun with that thing My Juker is a ball to shoot.

I actually would like to replace the ramrod. I'll have to check on size and see what is available. I haven't done anything to the lock or trigger except clean and lubricate them. Now that I know it shoots, I just might do a little smoothing.

Thanks,

Rick

Excellent shooting! I have one like it I put together from a kit when I was 16. Still have it too! You'll get a lot of enjoyment from it. The ramrod broke a few months after I got it and I replaced it with a solid brass rod.The extra weight under the forearm from the brass rod really helps hold it steady.

Good shooting, I had an uncle give me an old Jukar flintlock better than 30 years ago at least, it was a kit gun with two piece full length stock in .45 caliber. First time I took it out I was amazed at how slow the ignition was I could actually hear the click, then see the flash, followed by the boom. I ain't kidding you could pull the trigger on that rifle and hand it to someone else to sight and fire it, had to be the slowest ignition I've ever seen. It was relatively accurate and I made one of my best muzzleloading mistakes with that rifle by forgetting to remove the ramrod while talking with some friends out in a field shooting. Talk about recoil, never did find the ramrod, I got into the habit of shooting that rifle in the field with the ramrod in my hand after that.

Years and Years ago, I paid $20.00 for a Jukar Kit Gun that a fellow worker tried to put together. One Day I asked Him how the Gun Kit was coming along and He replied for 20 Bucks I`d sell the darn thing!! I won alot of stuff with it, bad Trigger and all! I once shot a 46 out of 50 offhand with it. Now it is hard to see the 100yd. Target let alone hit it!!

I sold mine last year. That 45 could hit bowling pin at hundred yards. Was a nice shooting rifle. I would love to have that one back. Enjoy

So, anyone know where I can get a 9mm ramrod 32.5 - 33" long? A length of 23/64 drill rod fits the thimbles pretty much like the original ramrod. 3/8 is too big and 5/16 really slops around.

Thanks!

Rick

Ok. So I found a "Super Rod" 32 3/4" x 23/64 at Cain's Outdoors. I think I will order it and give it a try.

Thanks,

Rick

I have two in .45 I built in 1979. I refurbished this one a couple of years ago.

Ky_05.jpg

Latest posts

Back