• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I just picked up 2 long rifles, need help identifying them.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to be completely honest in saying I wouldn't have. The option has presented itself numerous times, actually a few weeks ago as a matter of fact... I had a friend offer me his Traditions KY rifle for $120. My mindset shifts to "What work will be involved to make this rifle acceptable" which ends up eating more time than it's worth in the end. That precious time could have been spent on my other builds and projects that will likely be more of a investment in the end, which I view my rifles as such.

I started my ML journey when I was seven, first front stuffer I ever shot was a .36 flinter my grandfather built when he was in his twenties. I'd give anything to have that rifle today. Moving on, I can attest my journey didn't start with a Spanish gun and while I have owned a Traditions rifle that was a kit, it received many upgrades and was a fine shooter, I wouldn't buy one for over a Benjamin Franklin. Just my .2 cents that isn't worth even that, I'm a firm believer in a traditional spirit and the creativity of these fine rifles. They are works of art, a representation of it's creator which just isn't there with the mass produced repos that flood the market. We all are on different roads of the journey though!

Also, offer stands for the beer money! ;)

I know for a fact, if you had the chance to get both of these for what I paid, you would..... probably just to sell again, but you would not have said no!
I would echo Crewdawg's comment. I see no reason to buy low-quality guns on the off chance I can find someone more gullible than myself to buy them. While I am not opposed to saving money, in many cases the money saved really isn't a saving at all. Much like tools, buy quality once or buy manure quality over and over and over and over and over. Which ends up as the better investment?

I started with a Cabelas 54 caliber "Hawken" in cap and it was the first and last production gun I'll ever buy. I still have it to use as a loaner for people who can't afford a gun or aren't certain if this is the hobby for them.

I do know where you guys are coming from and understand completely your points of view.
Sometimes a deal is just too good to pass up for me, and this was one of those times, so I just had to.

I am somewhat of an "orphan" lover and collector, and it bothers me to see literally any item going to waste, but, agreed, no excuses on the quality of what I have obtained so far. :(

I did not purchase these to re-sell.
I am a hoarder at heart..... Heheh
That is how I have wound up with 5 laptops, 4 tablets, etc..... all too good of a deal to pass up!

Eh, I am having fun with them with investigating and discovering what they are, tweaking them a bit to make them functional, so it has been rather worth it to me to be honest, plus I can pass them along without regrets, once they are found to be safe and functional, if I find a "worthy" recipient.

Back to finding a butt plate!

Eh, I am having fun with them with investigating and discovering what they are, tweaking them a bit to make them functional, so it has been rather worth it to me to be honest, plus I can pass them along without regrets, once they are found to be safe and functional, if I find a "worthy" recipient.
Then your investment is a good one.

Now, if we can just get you to take the plunge and build a gun from high-quality parts...;)

Back to finding a butt plate!

And that’s what it’s all about, learning and having fun.

OOOH, It looks like it's pre-patent breech. This is good IMO.

barrel-tang-and-bolster-jpg.2052

Me either!

railshot, just giving you a hard time. Glad you have tough skin! We need more individuals around here like you that won't soil their breeches and get offended! ;):D

Also, brasso or bar keepers friend is a quick way to get clean, mirror brite brass rather quickly.

I don't like shiny brass furniture...

Like I said, tough crowd here..... at least it does not look like copper anymore!

I too do not like shiny brass, but dislike copper colored brass even more.
Histerically speaking, silver is still my favorite type of furniture, and then I could melt it to kill the werewolve's at least.....

Me either!

railshot, just giving you a hard time. Glad you have tough skin! We need more individuals around here like you that won't soil their breeches and get offended! ;):D

Also, brasso or bar keepers friend is a quick way to get clean, mirror brite brass rather quickly.

I need my "safe space" now!.....:eek:
Wrights all purpose brass polish has been with me since probably before most of you were born, and it still polishes just fine!

Holy manure, I just took the new "faux" Kentucky upstairs and compared it to my other "faux" Kentucky and the butt plates look identical!

Either later tonight, or early tomorrow I will have to remove the Traditions one and try it on the ?????? one.
If it is even close, I will call and order me one!
Yay me!

I don't like shiny brass either, and at least two of us have told you that a CVA Kentucky butt plate from Deer Creek should fit it. Deer creek bought all the old CVA inventory.

The Spanish guns all had the same basic design and manufacture.
The names seemed to have changed every 7 years or so. first Jukar then Dikar then Ardesa. With two main sellers U.S. sellers over the years. CVA and Traditions. Everyone from Sears to Dixie sold them.

There are always parts on Ebay and Numrich carries some parts also.

I don't like shiny brass either, and at least two of us have told you that a CVA Kentucky butt plate from Deer Creek should fit it. Deer creek bought all the old CVA inventory.

The Spanish guns all had the same basic design and manufacture.
The names seemed to have changed every 7 years or so. first Jukar then Dikar then Ardesa. With two main sellers U.S. sellers over the years. CVA and Traditions. Everyone from Sears to Dixie sold them.

There are always parts on Ebay and Numrich carries some parts also.

Yup, but nothin like seeing it first hand to confirm!

Much appreciated!

Some people don't like the old Spanish line of muzzleloaders, think they are worthless.
I think they are a valuable piece of muzzleloading history and will be collectable some day.

Now watch guys try to have me committed....

Some people don't like the old Spanish line of muzzleloaders, think they are worthless.
I think they are a valuable piece of muzzleloading history and will be collectable some day.

Now watch guys try to have me committed....

Heheh, I will probably be right there with you!

You are correct though, and when these were all originally first made back in the whatever times they came out (1700's / 1800's) people would have thought that anyone seeing a value beyond the present day would think they were nuts also.

I feel like I am a part of history, creating it, changing it, and preserving it.
Like I said earlier, these two just may well be worth what I paid for them in 200 years or so...… Heheh

Now a signed "railshot" kit rifle will be worth..... heck, I can only imagine! :D

Back