• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have small balls now.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ain't that the truth. We walk around on,and plant our food in, and hunt on worm "poop", but mature adults go all kinds of nuts when it comes to handling or cleaning up feces, of any kind. Soap and water has been doing the job for a lot of years.

Modern sanitation, altho having its beginnings during the mid-19th century with the work of field hospital nurses and the Red cross, is really a post WWII concept, when we finally had the first antibiotics, and our understanding of the relationship between bacteria and disease became well accepted. Before that, mankind lived a much less Hygienic life, and our race did not perish because of it.

In most of the world, sanitation is still not all that good. If you are ever in a true survival situation, about the last thing you will be worried about is what something tastes like. And, eating a bit of dirt-- whatever the source-- is just a part of living.

Now that I have vented on the cat poo issue I can address your primary question. :wink:

I have a Santa Fe that is a .53. For years I shot .520 balls in it. It was a tack driver but would throw flyers now and again. I found I was burning out the .018 ticking patches I was using. I went to a thicker patch but had to smack the ball a couple of times with the short starter to get it started. I had an old .515 mold around so I decided to try it out. I now use the .515 ball with .024 denim patches and don't have any trouble with burned patching.

Musketman...

You are absolutely correct, it only occurred to me after I no longer had it that I could practice making char-cloth. Forgive me, I had a life-or-death decision to make at the time.

Since I have three cats in total I was not able to determine the guilty party. I sure hope this is not going to develop into a habit, but then culpability might be easier to determine if there were repeat offenses.

"Less powder, more lead.
Shoots further, kills dead."

Back