• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fairly new to muzzleloader's - Having loading issues - Help appreciated

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt you have a bore issue. especially with a Pedersoli. They make quality stuff. Only a couple of times in 40+ years with muzzleloaders did I ever see a bore issue on a new gun and they were usually junk to begin with. I think your problem will be cured by a wet patch lube as stated previously.
Don't mess with any abrasive material around the muzzle or crown, you could cause damage.

Why are you shooting such a heavy load? A .36 is not a deer/bear gun. My typical load for a .36 is 15 - 20 grains. This is plenty for squirrels and rabbits at thirty yards and beyond that, most people are kidding themselves for a target that small. Pyrodex will be the same or worse as far as fouling is concerned.

Round ball are Hornady .350
Patches are pre-lubed 100% cotton "Muzzleloader Originals" and are .010"
No, I have done nothing to the muzzle
My .36 Frontier has a tighter bore than my other .36. I went with a .345 and it is my most accurate rifle I have . Get rid of the prelubed patches. Go to TOTW and get some mink oil and dry wool patches. You can lube them by dragging the patch over the can or melt some and soak them. A good lube and patch is how to get good results. I can shoot all afternoon without swabbing at all.

Hello, am fairly new to muzzle loading weapons and I own two percussion rifles and with my Pedersoli .36 Caliber I am having a difficult time loading consecutive loads after the first shot of the day with a clean bore.

I am using 40 grains of Goex FFFg powder with a lubed patch and standard lead round ball.
When I am ramming consecutive loads it becomes extremely difficult to get the ball/patch down the barrel......it seems to be worse from the muzzle to the middle of the barrel, then becomes slightly easier....but by the 3rd loading it's just about impossible without cleaning the bore.

What am I doing wrong?? Would I have better results with Pyrodex??

I cannot imagine having to clean the gun between shots, but maybe there's no other option?

Your help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
Nothing other than not wiping between shots ,I do in all my rifles and if it starts getting hard my accuracy goes down too. And I only own 45 and up so I can't imagine what your loading is like but your 1st broke ram rod in a small caliber rifle will be a teaching moment and you too will start wiping between shots !/Ed

Thanks to all for the helpful tips, much appreciated.
Since I already own several hundred of these pre-lubed patches, would it be safe for me to apply a small amount of Ballistol to each prior to loading to give them better performance and cause less fouling.....I'll upgrade my patch/lube once I burn through these that I have on hand.

Also I will reduce my powder charge down to 20-25 grains, I am just plinking with this little .36 so no need to burn so much and apparently that can also lead to excessive fouling.

Speaking from years of experience with muzzleloaders and years of rendevous competing I would find a charge that seems most accurate and stick with it, be it 15 or 35 grains or somewhere in between. With any rifle shooting "the name of the game is the same". Remember that. Switching powder charges is the road to frustration. Find what works and stick with it.
I shot a 36 for a couple of seasons and used nothing but spit patching. tear a a strip of patch material and put one end in your mouth, then cut it off at the barrel. I never swabbed between shots. In fact I've shot thousands of round balls over the years and I've never wiped between shots and never broke a ramrod.
Get a good non freezing liquid lube in the winter and spit in the summer.
Just my experience and observations.

Thanks to all for the helpful tips, much appreciated.
Since I already own several hundred of these pre-lubed patches, would it be safe for me to apply a small amount of Ballistol to each prior to loading to give them better performance and cause less fouling.....I'll upgrade my patch/lube once I burn through these that I have on hand.

Also I will reduce my powder charge down to 20-25 grains, I am just plinking with this little .36 so no need to burn so much and apparently that can also lead to excessive fouling.
That is something you can try if you want to use up those patches. It won't hurt anything. It's all about trial and error. I'd do it.

Round ball are Hornady .350
Patches are pre-lubed 100% cotton "Muzzleloader Originals" and are .010"
No, I have done nothing to the muzzle
Is it just me? I am by no means any expert but that seems a little tight. 0.36" (bore) - .35" (ball) = 0.10" gap but the patch runs around *both* sides of the ball (0.10" + 0.10" = 0.20") so you are trying to squish 0.37" into a 0.36" hole. You're compressing your patch to 50%. I'd be inclined to compress it a little less (25%) with a .005" smaller ball. I know from EMI gasketing that compressive force goes up exponentially to asymptote about 50% but then I'm no expert on patching compressability. I'd be interested as to what others say here.

I also see great merit in ormond tony's post (Dualist & micro burrs).

Why are you shooting such a heavy load? A .36 is not a deer/bear gun. My typical load for a .36 is 15 - 20 grains. This is plenty for squirrels and rabbits at thirty yards and beyond that, most people are kidding themselves for a target that small. Pyrodex will be the same or worse as far as fouling is concerned.
I never had a problem nor swabbing when using Pyrodex, black power had to swab with a wet patch after every shot. For lube I used that Crisco & bees wax. Someone commented that it's too hard. I didn't think about it, but I wet/soak my patches while it's still hot using about a 50/50 mix, eyeball measurement,...I did have to melt it before soaking patches.

The few times I've had a fowling problem a thicker patch solved it. If your first load doesn't take some effort to seat, then I'd say your patch is too thin.
It does take some moderate effort to seat the patch/ball but nothing extreme.....I do have some .015" patches that I may try, but I will also lube the patches more as everyone has suggested.

I just finished traveling the road you are on. Starting out I could not load 3 balls without swabbing at least every 2nd shot. After a lot of experimenting I shot 16 shots this week without swabbing. And the loading was still easy. Very consistent ragged hole at 50 yds. This is what worked for me: 50 cal. Hawken, 60 grains FFFg, .490 ball in a .015 patch dampened with Olde Turkey Track solvent and seated with a jag and patch dampened with a 1:5 ballistol/water solution and a touch of dawn. That way you are cleaning the bore every time you seat the ball. Shot a total of 16 shots, no swabbing and the last ball loaded as easily as the 2nd. You will find dozens of people here that have their own successful methods. Use their experience, experiment, and find what works for you.
I very interested in this topic but need a little clarification. You load ball & patch using olde Turkey followed by a swab and seating the ball with a patch with 1:5 ballistol:water ? Thanks in advance.

I very interested in this topic but need a little clarification. You load ball & patch using olde Turkey followed by a swab and seating the ball with a patch with 1:5 ballistol:water ? Thanks in advance.
I was getting some parts from Taylors and saw Olde Turkey on their site. Never heard of it but figured why not give it a try. I think I could use a Ballistol/water damp patch under the ball with the same results. I'll give that a try next time out along with some ticking I bought and cut square. To clarify, for now, prior to loading, I clean the breech and bore with alcohol and dry it. Load the 1st ball seated on the Olde Turkey patch. Shoot. No swabbing. Next ball I load the same except I seat it with a jag on the ramrod that has a ballistol patch on it. That way the bore is getting cleaned with the loading stroke. No extra swabbing was needed. That worked for 16 shots which was all I was going to shoot that day. For me, I'm enjoying all the experimenting you can do with loading.

Hello, am fairly new to muzzle loading weapons and I own two percussion rifles and with my Pedersoli .36 Caliber I am having a difficult time loading consecutive loads after the first shot of the day with a clean bore.

I am using 40 grains of Goex FFFg powder with a lubed patch and standard lead round ball.
When I am ramming consecutive loads it becomes extremely difficult to get the ball/patch down the barrel......it seems to be worse from the muzzle to the middle of the barrel, then becomes slightly easier....but by the 3rd loading it's just about impossible without cleaning the bore.

What am I doing wrong?? Would I have better results with Pyrodex??

I cannot imagine having to clean the gun between shots, but maybe there's no other option?

Your help/guidance is greatly appreciated.
Lose the pre-lubes. Greasy patches are best kept for when you are only taking a couple of shots. (oil+carbon=asphalt) I use a soapy water lube and can shoot my .40 all day without wiping; the wet patch cleans the bore with each load. Lots of posts in the archive.

Latest posts

Back