• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have an idea and wonder if it’s been done

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect-

So that would be roughly a 2 ounce load with a 325 grain roundball and a 2 1/3 dram eq. with 65 grains.

That doesn’t sound excessive, assuming my math is right. (Still on the first cup of coffee)

I carry my 62 for grouse and I wondered if I had a light shot charge of #6s, say 7/8th oz, and happened upon a deer or elk, whether I could just drop a roundball over it with a card? Has anyone tested this? Is it too much?

I usually charge 65 grains of 3f. I know a 1 1/8 charge of shot kicks like a mile in a 6 1/3 pound gun.
It might be illegal to do that. If a game warden catches you it could be very bad for you.

Yeah , it works but as mentioned its not terribly accurate and it kicks bad but at close range , blind or stand range , it'll get the job done . They are versatile guns , great for makin meat :)

Make a video. Everyone likes videos. Don't know squat about hunting grouse (we have none). Just opened elk season - Missouri hunters harvested ..what...four? Doubtful whitetails would stand around long enough for a guy to dig out, drop a big roundball down the barrel and shoot. Here, your bird dog (assuming grouse are hunted with dogs) would get you a summons - illegal to hunt deer with dogs along.

Unless the roundball is patched and rammed solidly against the shot charge, two things come to mind - ball might roll completely out or part way, causing the shot charge catch up with the ball partway inside the barrel causing a bulge or burst barrel.

Here, you could legally use a double barrel to hunt birds and deer IF one barrel's loaded with shot (not larger than #4) and the other with a single projectile - only if you have a deer tag, regular hunting license, and leave your dog at home. Make the video.

I shoot some stout (100 grains of FFFg T7 with a 58 cal 550 grain (1 1/4 oz) conical @1350 fps or 110 gr of FFFg T7 with a 54 cal 485gr (1 1/8oz) conical 1550fps both in 6lb 10oz guns), but not unreasonable loads, in my Thumper Carbines and invariably get one or two comments like "you are going to shoot your shoulder into a taco" or "does that load spin you around".

A couple of things are going on...either those that comment are super sensitive to recoil or may have never shot a load like that and are talking out of their anal orifice, or are using the upper arm gun butt placement style of shooting, or have a very poor fitting gun and have poor stock placement because of it.

Having done some calculations and shot these loads, most all of them are far less than the standard 1 3/8 oz "goose load" with modern ammo in like weight guns and the recoil, while uncomfortable off of a bench, in normal hunting stances...(kneeling, sitting, standing) are plenty manageable and not noticeable when hunting.

@SOLANCO hits the nail on the head in his comments....poor gun fit, poor stock placement on the body (or upper arm mount) and generally poor shooting practices fail to mitigate what would normally be acceptable recoil.

a 1 1/4 oz , 3.5 dram load is equal to 547 grains @ 1300 fps

See chart below

View attachment 213723
The energy on the first two entries is reversed. The heavier gun always has less recoil.

Just for curiousity's sake, has anyone ever had a warden ask them to pull their load from a front stuffer?
LOL ...funny you mention that as ive always wondered myself . I've hunting with loads such as mentioned at the beginning hoping to get meat whether it be deer or rabbit or whatever and always had my plan . If I was ever asked to pull the load , I seriously doubt it would come to that , but it was going to accidentally go off straight up in the air when I was taking it off half cock :)

Preliminary testing completed.

First thing this morning I ran out ans dug a limit of razor clams and, when I got home, the clouds cleared and it was almost sunny for a second. I grabbed my smoothbore and decided to cobble together some cardboard and put this *B&$-Ch to a test!

For whatever reason, today, after shooting, I felt like I couldn’t miss… for a change.

The first target is ‘supposed’ to be a grouse at 20 yards, which is a typical shot in western Washington trail walking/brush. I started with 3/4 oz of #6 with 40 grains 3f and powder cards. I just wanted to see how a smaller charge of shot patterned and if it would be enough pellet energy to be practical. My theoretical substrate was a paint can lid. Most of the pellets penetrated it, at least 50%.

The second target is three shots at 30 yards (or so). The first shot had 3/4 oz #6, powder card and a .60 round ball and another powder card. The recoil was minimal with the 40 grain concoction which was my original concern… I started with the lowest powder charge and figured I’d work it up.

The second shot was 50 grains 3f and same recipe.

Third shot was 65 grains of 3f.

I am not sure if I held high on the third shot or if the additional velocity caused the elevation change. Either way, the recoil was still minimal which is the primary concern, with patterning and accuracy secondary.

Next time I’ll stay with 65 grains and maybe try #4 buck with a ball over it.

I LOVE My smoothbore.

Attachments

• 75E4DE1A-9B1A-4414-9F7A-AB5CB1F946FC.jpeg
    75E4DE1A-9B1A-4414-9F7A-AB5CB1F946FC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 4BEE473E-0A18-4D0C-9B59-913974BAB788.jpeg
    4BEE473E-0A18-4D0C-9B59-913974BAB788.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 72675AB2-565C-4876-B235-456FF1553842.jpeg
    72675AB2-565C-4876-B235-456FF1553842.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Wonderful! Most excellent. As I have stated over and over, most people's concerns with recoil are way over blown.

There, you put it to rest until somebody comes in behind me and comments 🤣

Last edited:
Wonderful! Most excellent. As I have stated over and over, most people's concerns with recoil is way over blown.

There, you put it to rest until somebody comes in behind me and comments 🤣

I was surprised that 5-10 additional yards would destroy the pattern. Three shots of #6 and the board is almost blank!

I was surprised that 5-10 additional yards would destroy the pattern. Three shots of #6 and the board is almost blank!
It doesn't take much....Just think of it as a "spreader" load! That heavier ball on top squats down as it has more inertia to overcome and piles the shot up around the edge of the bore, likely.

Back