• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drat! ( and Thanks!)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
First off, Thanks. Y'all did a great job of helping me get my Pedersoli Brown Bess ready for Turkey Season. I finally settled on 60 grains of 3F and 1 2/3 oz of #6 shot using a SkyChief configuration.

I had a lot riding on this season. Thiis was my first turkey season back from Chemo. I had planned on taking my first bird with my usual Mossy 12 GA and then switching to the 'Bess. That never happened. I hunted 16 days of a 22 day season, with no joy. I'm still a bit tippy from the Chemo as well as taking a hit on my bone marrow that screws with my stamina. I had the Honey Hole, though. I've often filled both my tags there in the first week of season, and it is a fairly flat walk along a half-mile of abandoned road. I had just enough steam to make it out there and back.

Finally, Saturday AM, I was out at the Honey Hole and picked up and went after a bird that was heading away from me off the property. I was able to turn him and got a shot at 10 yards as he was coming through the barbed wire at me. It would have been a perfect setup for the 'Bess. Drat!

5211.jpg

More pics and the full story here: The Shaman Gets his Bird

I still had one more day left of season, but the updated forecast showed thunderstorms at daybreak. I decided to pop smoke and head for town. The 'Bess was going to have to wait.

Bottom line: All the turkey loads get put up in their sealed vials for next year. I can pick up right where I left off. Next, comes KY Spring Squirrel on May 20. , with 80 grains of 3f and 1 OZ of #6. More

Glad you can get back out in the woods. Hope things go well with your treatment. This year is the first year I've hunted turkey with BP. I was gifted a trade gun by my BIL that was built by his now deceased friend. I too played with the Skychief load. 65gr of 3F and 1 1/8 oz. of 7 1/2 shot was my load. Killed a Jake opening morning. Went again Friday morning and got set up before daylight. At daylight a Tom gobbled on the roost. He was 40 yds from me. A Jake was roosting with him and pitched down 40 yds in front of me. He wandered around for 10 minutes then went over the ridge behind me. Finally the Tom pitched down at 40 yds and went over then ridge too. Had I been hunting with the Benelli could have killed either bird, but I enjoyed not harvesting the birds with the trade gun more than if I had killed them with the Benelli. Can't wait till squirrel season myself. I'm hooked! God bless.

Anyone who says camo doesn't work is full of it.

I can't make out the model of the gun because the camo gun and the camo pants and shirt are working well.

And nice bird. Congrats.

Back