• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have a problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like the front side nail is impeding the rod ? If you take a steel rod about 5/16" dia & long enough to bend up one end to use as a handle And the other end bray with a hammer to cause a sharp burr Then insert it so you can scrape away at the wood next to the crossing hole you might need to put a bit of bend to force the scraper edge to bear . Scrape away till the rod is no longer tight . You will need to get the shavings out with a thinner wire bent so it digs about to loosen the chips /scrapeings so your rod can go to its correct place . What part of Alberta ? .
Regards Rudyard

the ramrod on my rifle is very difficult to remove and put back in, I am sure the problem is the lock bolt, but what can I do about it.
Ord is on target, just thin the bolt where it intersects the RR, preferably in an arc to help maintain integrity. If you have a drill press that will speed up the metal removal.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇲

Check the ramrod retaining spring too. Sometimes they get put in upside down, that will cause the ramrod to hang up. Or if it's too tight, you can straighten it out just a bit.

I have one where the front lock screw needed a fair amount removed. I used a round file to cut a goove after I marked the screw with the lock in place and the screw head clocked horizontally. That made it easy to get the groove lined up to allow the ramrod to slip in. I can only be off 1/2 a turn on the screw.

the ramrod on my rifle is very difficult to remove and put back in, I am sure the problem is the lock bolt, but what can I do about it.
If it's the lock bolt take a round file and file a groove in it where the ramrod hits. You will have to insert it and time, mark the bolt so it's in the right position so u can insert the ramrod.

This works well and how I made some clearance on my first build.
front lock bolt.jpg

Difficult to put back in starting where?

Is the ramrod the correct diameter, and not one size too big?
(You don't say if original ramrod or aftermarket replacement)

If at one of the thimbles or entry pipe, and the ramrod is the correct size, use a bit of 220 grit sand paper on a dowel to hone the inside of the thimbles and entry pipe to get rid of any burrs.

Is the ramrod retaining spring installed properly?

I've not seen a ramrod hit the lock cross-bolt. In the rifles I've had, the ramrod channel ended before it reached the cross-bolt.

Back