• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunting with a Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabofdoom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up an Old Army with a 7 1/2 inch barrel and target sights (I know, not quite traditional.
I was wondering if any one here had used one for hunting whitetails and if so any tips on loads that might work best.

thanks in advance

COD

A friend of mine loads his with 40grs. of pyrodex p a lubed wad and a .457 ball. I hunt with the same load in my 1858 rem. except I shoot a .454 ball in mine. We have taken lots of deer and hogs with these loads. We try to keep our shots on game no more than 35yds. Deer season is just around the corner and I am ready to go. I enjoy hunting with a cap and ball pistol and you will to if you give it a try.It will put meat in your freezer with a well placed shot..Go out and have some fun..

Thanks for the info Rider. Im taking it out to the range Saturday. I got it with the sole intent of using it for deer... would hunt hog if there was a wild population in Vermont.

COD

If you can call them in close enough, you can probably use it on them Coydogs.
There's certainly no shortage of them in Vt., at least where I used to wander.

Hate to see anyone accidently get themselves in a jam over something that they might not be aware of so I'll mention this only in an effort to help...many states do not allow big game hunting with a BP handgun so make sure you can where you're planning to go hunting :hmm:

I agree, check your regs. But IIRC, only a single shot handgun loaded from the muzzle may be used during BP season, but, you might be able to use it during regular season.
This is off the VT Fish and Game site.

"HANDGUNS
Wherever a rifle may be used in hunting, a handgun is
permitted."

As rb said, check the regs first.

Have you considered conicals rather than RBs? The second edition of the Lyman manual shows the Ruger 45 banging out 1157 fps with the Buffalo 190 grain conical and 40 grains of Pyro P.

I've whacked so many deer with similar loads in cartridge revolvers that I can assure you it will be a sincere deer stomper with good shooting. Add in the fact that the Buffalo conical is going to be pure lead rather than the alloys I've shot, and I am willing to bet you even get pretty fair expansion within normal handgun ranges.

If it was me heading out the door with an Old Army (and it sounds like a good idea, BTW), I'd be inclined to whack a few deer with the Buffalo conical or something similar I cast myself, then maybe come back around to shooting a few with RBs. Compare a 144 grain RB at 1000 fps and a 190 grain conical at over 1100 fps, and it's easy to see why.

BrownBear said:
Have you considered conicals rather than RBs? The second edition of the Lyman manual shows the Ruger 45 banging out 1157 fps with the Buffalo 190 grain conical and 40 grains of Pyro P.

Funny you mention the conical, as I got a Lee conical mold with the Ruger as part of the deal.

COD

There is no shortage of coyotes in Connecticut. On private land you can shoot them year round with a cap and ball, provided you have the permit to carry ,a hunting license and permission to hunt on the private land.

I want to say that Dave Clemments will deepen the cylinders on a ROA to add five extra grains of powder. He states that will add another 75 to 100 fps to a max load.

check your state regs - here in NC during muzzleload season an ROA isn't legal. is during regular gun season tho. I hunt with mine and my '58 Rem. 2 hogs with 3 shots. (one was 100lb on the hoof [we roasted it and ate it - very good] the other 300 hoof [dry sow nice and fat mighty tasty])

I've never hunted whitetail with an Old Army but I did own one (not legal for large game in NY, either). I agree with Gote Rider that it is a 30 to 35 yard proposition at best (and that's good enough for 80% of the deer I've ever taken). It certainly has the accuracy and, for a percussion revolver, is heavy duty. But you're no better off than the old .44-40 revolver rounds, and even in a carbine they're a close range proposition for deer sized game. You've got a shorter barrel, pressure loss out the nipple and a cylinder gap and those all cost you in energy and effective range.

roundball said:
Hate to see anyone accidently get themselves in a jam over something that they might not be aware of so I'll mention this only in an effort to help...many states do not allow big game hunting with a BP handgun so make sure you can where you're planning to go hunting :hmm:

Good call Roundball.

I know Ohio doesn't allow them. Heck, they don't even allow you to carry a sidearm at all while deer hunting.

HD

In Illinois , it's illegal. Revolvers are required to be above .30 cal , centerfire, and capable of 500 fp . Plus, single shot black powder pistols are only allowed with a handgun permit in January. They can't be used for carry-over permits , though.
Check your regs very carefully.

DavidS said:
Check your regs very carefully.

Amen to that!!!!! It varies dramatically from state to state, and ignorance is not a defense in court.

Here in Alaska for example, cartridge guns only have to be centerfire, and I'm not aware of any restrictions on blackpowder handguns during the regular seasons. Technically I don't think we're supposed to be carrying a conventional arm during our special muzzleloader seasons, but lots of folks get "untechnical" on that point when stepping over large bear tracks. :shocked2:

Thats about the way the state regs are in Ga. You can not hunt with cap&ball revolver during muzzle loading season but you can during regular gun season. I know one thing for sure I am ready to put some smoke in the woods.

You can use a revolver in Missouri and I do. My ROA has accounted for two does. My gun really doesnt like conicals.

Blizzard of 93 said:
here in NC during muzzleload season an ROA isn't legal. is during regular gun season tho.
That's one of those terminology things for sure...their intent was to say that BP pistols are not legal but without realizing it they said "muzzleloading pistols are not legal"...leaving the door wide open for BP revolvers hich are not as powerful as some larger caliber muzzleloading pistols, but words are words.
In reverse that same choice of wording is what left the door wide open for the other form of "muzzleloaders" that are now used in all the original muzzleloading seasons.

Back