• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt scheduled at Spartan Hunting Preserve

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am really excited to have reserved a three day weekend in mid-October for some hunting at Spartan Hunting Preserve in Tennessee. (My wife and kids plan to come as well, though not actually hunt.) I spoke with Mitch and feel really positive about them- their accommodations and services look top-notch!
I certainly have plenty of deer to hunt right here on our property that we just got in June (they walk across our property from the mountain on our north line). I got my deer stand set up in July on the edge of the field, waiting for it's first use next Fall :) But the get-away and being a bit pampered (food served, lodge setting, and their great reputation) sounds lovely. I wonder if it's an older guy thing LOL.
I have a variety of flintlocks to choose to bring (I plan to bring two) all of them .45 not including my .75 cal re-stocked Bess. I think my primary will be my .45 Pecatonica Verner rifle build, though. It's well sighted in now, shoots fast and reliable, and itching for some hunting action.
I haven't hunted a boar before (seems like lots of them there) and not sure if I would feel comfortable doing so with a .45; my flintlock hunting has been for Whitetails exclusively. I would be quite happy with a Fallow Doe there!
Needless to say, my shooting practice will now have even more motivation behind it!

20040101_060102000_iOS.jpg

For practice in preparation for a trip I buy a "lifesized" picture target. Some of them are a bit less than actual lifesized. My pronghorn antelope target was about 3/4 size in reality. Anyway, put it at your maximum distance and shoot off-hand or with sticks, however your're gonna do it on the hunt. Use a paper bag to cut circles and patch your target after each session. Best of luck!

I was looking at some videos from Spartan on Youtube. I didn't see much of any Fallow deer, mostly hog. That's OK though. But it seemed to me those hogs are awful easy targets... just standing around or whatever. Not sure what to think.

you know buffalo Hunters killed many buffalo at long distance with a 45/70 black powder gun. the need for bigger is why?
A cartridge round and a muzzleloaded round have absolutely nothing in common as far as pressure curves, etc. The two cannot be fairly compared. To attempt to do so will set others up for failure.
Walk

A cartridge round and a muzzleloaded round have absolutely nothing in common as far as pressure curves, etc. The two cannot be fairly compared. To attempt to do so will set others up for failure.
Walk
just asking, don't you compressed the powder and bullet in the barrel just as much as in a cartridge? a cartridge just made it easier to reload?

A 45 caliber round ball weighs about 130-140 grains give or take, while a 45-70 original load the bullet weighed 405 grains and is a completely different animal.

a 45 round ball will kill a hog. Double lung, if they can't breath, they won't last long. That will be a great trip and your family will remember it forever. Post pictures!
Nit Wit

A 45 caliber round ball weighs about 130-140 grains give or take, while a 45-70 original load the bullet weighed 405 grains and is a completely different animal.
thanks, do you know if anybody ever did compare a black powder cartridge to a muzzleloader round. I did read that a 44 cal Walker at 25 yards was same as a 44 mag. cartridge

A cartridges pressure curve (how the powder burns along with the expanding gasses) is totally self sealed. This coupled with the massive amount of pressure it takes to fit 70gr of powder along with a 405gr elongated bullet, then the crimp on top (btw, if you’ve never done it, almost impossible to seat the bullet with 70gr powder unless you compress to the point of excessive “crunching/crushing” into a massive pellet of powder below the bullet. Most do not load 70gr) create a much different burn cycle and pressure curve. Muzzleguns do not use presses to load their charges. Do not have a totally sealed chamber area (only speaking to traditional guns). PRB vs 405gr projectile. Not an apple/apple comparison This is a basic rundown and if I was unable to clear things up. Someone way smarter will be along shortly.
Walk

A cartridges pressure curve (how the powder burns along with the expanding gasses) is totally self sealed. This coupled with the massive amount of pressure it takes to fit 70gr of powder along with a 405gr elongated bullet, then the crimp on top (btw, if you’ve never done it, almost impossible to seat the bullet with 70gr powder unless you compress to the point of excessive “crunching/crushing” into a massive pellet of powder below the bullet. Most do not load 70gr) create a much different burn cycle and pressure curve. Muzzleguns do not use presses to load their charges. Do not have a totally sealed chamber area (only speaking to traditional guns). PRB vs 405gr projectile. Not an apple/apple comparison This is a basic rundown and if I was unable to clear things up. Someone way smarter will be along shortly.
Walk
thank you for your reply. more than helpful.

I was looking at some videos from Spartan on Youtube. I didn't see much of any Fallow deer, mostly hog. That's OK though. But it seemed to me those hogs are awful easy targets... just standing around or whatever. Not sure what to think.
Pretty much the same thoughts here. I was all geared up and excited, until I watched a video of a sleeping pig being shot from about 20 yards. I am aware it's a high fence operation, but that really didn't sit well with me. I would be very interested to hear other members personal experiences at Spartan Preserve.

Well...
I had a friend that shot a nice red one from about 70 yards or so from a tree stand, pig was running and behind him and stopped him with one shot....he was using a 375 H&H that day however so might have been just a little bit of overkill.
Another shot one running from about the same distance with a 50 flintlock from a ground blind, I thought that was pretty good but his flinter goes off pretty fast.

I have shot them with a handgun at a good distance, their not that hard to kill, they are just pigs after all.

Mitch will pretty much cater to whatever you want, he's had people use bow and arrows, spears and yes, even knives.

If you can't hit them from a tree stand or a blind.....
Mitch will make sure you get a pig.

Back