• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt in the rain rifle cover someone made?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I seem to recall that in one of the there subforum, quite some time ago, someone posted about a full length gun cover they made. If I remember it was wool blanket material, open along the bottom for the whole length, closed at the muzzle end.
Anyone remember this? Remember who?
Looking to make one, wondering if there is something special done to make it easier and more discrete to remove when time to shoot? Muzzle cut at an angle?

Thanks

I have a couple of full length rifle covers that are made out of wool fabric but, I wouldn't trust them to protect my rifles from rain water.

I have a couple of full length rifle covers that are made out of wool fabric but, I wouldn't trust them to protect my rifles from rain water.
I would still use my cow's knee and most of the other methods we use to keep out guns dry.

I was very impressed a couple times this year with how well a simple piece of broad cloth kept me and my gear dry.

The Leatherman makes a fantastic product I swear by. The owner is also the manufacturer and a simply great guy. See LC-900 Lock Cover.
I have a cow's knee (mentioned in reply earlier)
20201126_122801.jpg20201126_122728.jpg
Looking for something to help from the other end. Keeping the gun muzzle down all the time is easier said than done.

When percussion locks first became available in the early 1800's it was claimed to be superior to flintlocks since it allowed one to hunt in the rain. A content flintlock shooter replied, "Why would you want to" 😁
Why would I want to? I don't want to, but this year most of the mornings that my schedule has allowed me to get out , have been rainy. The season is short and opportunities few. Might not love hunting in rain, but, have to try to get out when I can. I'd rather hunt in the rain with my flintlock than with my bow.

I would still use my cow's knee and most of the other methods we use to keep out guns dry.

I was very impressed a couple times this year with how well a simple piece of broad cloth kept me and my gear dry.
please forgive me for asking, but what is BROARD CLOTH? is it CANVES?

i used to hunt (smoothbore flintlock) on the west coast of canada, lots of rain. i never found a need to use any protective lock cover. i think it would be a nuisance. tuck it under your arm. check it offen, dry the pan if needs, new prime or primer offen. i never had an issue. seems like just more stuff to pack around.
also, the best time to hunt is in the rain.
i guess maybe the problem is a person has to be aware all the time of the condition of the lock where as if you have a plastic bag over it you can walk around oblivious to the condition of your rifle..
OU
tom

Took a square of old welding glove soaked in hot sealing wax. Cut a slit to slip over the frizzen tip. Water runs right off. As far as the rest of the gun its going to get wet anyhow and be dried and oiled upon returning home.

Why would I want to? I don't want to, but this year most of the mornings that my schedule has allowed me to get out , have been rainy. The season is short and opportunities few. Might not love hunting in rain, but, have to try to get out when I can. I'd rather hunt in the rain with my flintlock than with my bow.
Since seasons overlap here I rather hunt in the rain with the Bow. No mess no worries

I avoid downpour conditions, but would go out in a light rain, and sometimes it just happens. I carry a homemade cow’s knee for the lock, and also some roll-on finger bandaids that look like miniature condoms for the end of the barrel. You can shoot right through those from what I’ve read.

While the barrel “condom” is not PC, neither is my camouflage clothing, modern/warm boots & gloves, treestand or field seat, gutting gloves, etc. I enjoy flintlock hunting and archery hunting way more than modern rifle these days, but for me to enjoy the sport, particularly when Mother Nature throws down some nasty weather, and given the budget that I have to invest, I can’t just leave all of my non-PC gear at home.

i used to hunt (smoothbore flintlock) on the west coast of canada, lots of rain. i never found a need to use any protective lock cover. i think it would be a nuisance. tuck it under your arm. check it offen, dry the pan if needs, new prime or primer offen. i never had an issue. seems like just more stuff to pack around.
also, the best time to hunt is in the rain.
i guess maybe the problem is a person has to be aware all the time of the condition of the lock where as if you have a plastic bag over it you can walk around oblivious to the condition of your rifle..
OU
tom
Never found my lock cover a nuisance, trying to keep my muzzle down an lock under my armpit is a far greater pain.
To be clear, I haven't had the gun not go off even in wet conditions, but i find myself hunting in the wet more often lately and want to not worry as much about the muzzle end of things.
Also, if I prime dry, seal the edges of the pan with my beeswax/fat blend, and use my cover,,, I never open that pan until the gun is fired or it is time to dump my prime and go home.
Never has that prime been damp. Opening and closing the frizzen/pan all the time just seems like an invitation to moisture.

Latest posts

Back