• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunt for Arrowheads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still got a few of the nicer ones (if I can find them), I gave a cigar box of arrowheads to one of my brothers.When we were kids there was a spot near the creek that we called the "flintpile".That is probably the place where points were knapped.Though at the time we never even considered that.But it was a mystery why there were so many chips and shards of flint in that one place. I could probably still find it if it weren't under grass now.

Found this a few days ago while till in garden. Looks like some marking on it from tiller tines. We used to find points quite regularly near here when plowing corn fields.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 0
Walked up and down the rows of a bean field for a couple hours this afternoon, and found this nice flint blade, still sharp enough to dress a deer after a couple thousand years. Somehow it survived intact in a field that’s been plowed at least a hundred times.

Attachments

• 64ABF6CF-B0EB-407A-94C3-64F44E8E00EA.jpeg
    64ABF6CF-B0EB-407A-94C3-64F44E8E00EA.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
I worked until I was 72, my wife couldn’t get out in the fields anymore so we didn’t look anymore. When I would have work to do out on our pipelines I would be looking for points etc. Just before I retired I was with a farmer who was digging across us cleaning out a drainage ditch when I looked down picked up this IMG_8492.jpeg

Walked up and down the rows of a bean field for a couple hours this afternoon, and found this nice flint blade, still sharp enough to dress a deer after a couple thousand years. Somehow it survived intact in a field that’s been plowed at least a hundred times.
Amazing how they hold up!
Have you ever actually dressed out a deer with either an old broken point or knife, or a freshly-struck flake?
Have done them with each. A real kick at some kind of deep level for me...
Years ago, I skinned one of my Dad's deer with a broken midsection of a large point I had just picked up while walking out from my stand , and a few yeaes later some of the guys in my hunt club had me demonstrate using sharp flakes to dress one out at the camp, and that was fun. It was different, though, when my son brought home his first bow-killed deer. He had been so busy with work, school, and football that he had not had time to stay in practice with his longbow, so he took this doe with a compound. As we were hanging her up to start the gutting and skinning, he stopped and said, "Dad, I know I didn't take this one traditionally. Could we dress her out using flint?" I durn near got teary-eyed... I struck three flakes of glassy Flint River chert from up in Georgia... He went down one side, and I the other... It seemed to go faster than what it does when we use steel skinners. Processed the entire deer with those flakes, except busting the pelvis to separate the hams... whacked that through with a 'hawk!
We each still have the flakes we used, as embodiments of a great shared memory.

My apologies if that was a bit long-winded... We all have ancestors who did this, regardless of our ethnicity.
It was a great grounding experience for both of us.

Last edited:
I believe that the stone that is used in brain surgery isn't flint bur OBSEDIAN, Vulcanic glass. it will not let bacteria adhere to it in surgery. and it is razor sharp. jmho.
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by bringing this up. Not brain surgery but...can some of you "Christians" help me out? This discussion on arrowheads got me thinking of this event. I know the account is there somewhere in the Bible (Exodus?) but I can't find the actual verse.Didn't Moses perform circumcision on his son (s) with a sharp rock? I think it mentions flint? Ouch!

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by bringing this up. Not brain surgery but...can some of you "Christians" help me out? This discussion on arrowheads got me thinking of this event. I know the account is there somewhere in the Bible (Exodus?) but I can't find the actual verse.Didn't Moses perform circumcision on his son (s) with a sharp rock? I think it mentions flint? Ouch!
Joshua 5 mentions Joshua making knives for that purpose but material is not mentioned. It was performed on more than only sons.

Found this a couple months ago under a 300 + old acorn tree next to my chicken coop. Alot of Indian rocks found on my farm here in Missouri.
Salt River Johnny
My eyes aren’t good enough to tell if that is a nice ovate blade or a preform for something like a Snyders point. Indians would go to a source for lithic material and make preforms to bring home and finish. That way it was less to carry because most of the unnecessary rock was removed and also they could see how well a piece would work. Whether it would fracture correctly or not IMG_0781.png

That’s a great point you found! I have done many things and had lots of outdoor adventures, but I have never in 68 years ever found an arrowhead. Sure would like to find just one.
I’m with you on that . I have never foun one but sure would like to!!

Back