• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from Idaho

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and to muzzleloading. I shot one several years ago with a friend and had a lot of fun, and have been wanting to get more into it. I inherited a .54 TC Renegade from my stepdad when he passed away, it has been sitting in my gun cabinet for several years now. I finally got it out and really checked it out after buying a bore light, and found that it is in great shape! So, I've recently been buying several items needed for shooting it: Goex ffg, #11 CCI caps, patches, balls, great plains conicals, plastic ram-rod,jag, cleaning patches, powder dispenser, adjustable powder measure, 4-in1 quick loads, Natural Loob 1000, TC #13 cleaner, spare nipples, nipple wrench, nipple pick, above mentioned bore light, patch worm, capper tool. Still need a shooting bag. I went out and shot it last weekend and definitely learned a few things. I'll save that info and resulting questions for the proper forum below.
Definitely addicted, my girlfriend thinks I've gone nuts! lol She's into hunting and shooting too though, so I think I just need to pick up a second ML and get her into it as well!
Make smoke and shoot straight...

Hi, and welcome! You may find that the conical bullets may not work well in your rifle; depends on the rifling twist. Good luck in your learning experience. You have found the right place to answer any questions you may have.

Welcome renegadehunter. You've found the best muzzleloading site online! Enjoy. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
We'll see about the conicals, haven't had a chance to test them out yet. It is shooting a .530 RB with a .015 patch and 80grns of goex ff pretty good to 50 yards, haven't tried out to a 100 yet. Going to do some deer hunting this friday with that load and keep any possible shots to 50 or less. Later in the day I hope to try it out on some targets to a hundred as well as seeing how the conicals do. Oh, and it has the standart 1:48 twist that T/C Renegades come with, so hopefully it'll do ok with them. I plan on starting at 90grns of ff and going up 5grns from there to hopefully find a sweet spot. I have a late ML hunt in December for elk, so I'm hoping I'll find a good combo for that hunt. My "A" tag for elk is primarily an archery hunting tag for September, but since I was unsuccessful I figured I might as well try the ML season and have another chance at putting some elk in the freezer. I had no idea that I would become so addicted to shooting the Renegade!
And I agree on the best forum, I've already found this site to be a wealth of info!

Howdy and welcome from another Idaho bp shooter/hunter.

Hit reply to wrong person, don't know how to change it. Dumkoff me!

Your TC Renegade has a 1 in 48 barrel twist and was designed for conical slugs. It should shoot round balls well with medium loads.

Brian

Been tough hunting so far, all the spots I regularly get into elk during archery season have very little elk sign. There was about 6" of snow for a couple weeks prior to the season, but now it's all gone. Not sure if that moved them or what, but was more of a scouting trip for the two days I hunted last weekend. One more weekend to try and find them, have time to hunt friday and sunday this weekend. The good news is the renegade shoots the hornady GPB's in 425gr with a charge of 100gr goex ff pretty well. I sighted it dead on at 50 yards and found that it hits 8-1/2" low at a 100 yards. So, hopefully I can do my part if I can find a darn elk to point it at. I have a feeling that when I find them, there's going to be a lot of them in the group.

Hello renegadehunter,what part of Idaho ? I'm up around the panhandle north of CDA.It has been a little slow for elk but do have a few in the area.Good luck let me know how you do. Be safe

Back