• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdah pistol range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpshot

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry this took so long, it's hard for me to make time to go to the range. But it was fun and I got a few pics while I was at it.

The bores on this gun showed .627" on my caliper, so I ordered some new supplies from ToW. I ordered over-powder wads, fiber cushion wads, and over-powder cards in 19 gauge. The fiber cusion wads were dry, so I used my 50/50 mix of melted Bore Butter and olive oil. Also some .610" cast balls, which actually showed .615" when I measured them, and some #6 chilled shot from ToW that's really a mix of #6 and #7. I was also using .010" pre-lubed Wonder patches, 2F and 3F GOEX, and RWS caps.

On a side note, I did a little test with the two types of caps I had, RWS and CCI #11 Magnums. I stuffed a cotton ball in the muzzle and popped a cap of each type (using the same barrel, to eliminate that variable). The RWS caps made a noticeably louder 'bang', produced much more sparks coming out from under the hammer, and threw the cotton ball about 8" farther. I don't know if this means hotter spark or better performance, I just thought the differences were interesting.

Anyway, I was shooting over a sandbag rest, and swabbing between shots with T/C No. 13 bore cleaner. I periodically checked to see if the load in the second barrel had shifted under the recoil of the first, but that never appeared to be a problem. My targets were attached to a piece of 1/2" plywood propped up against a rubbermaid container (pretty fancy, huh?).

My time was limited, so I wasn't able to test a lot of different loads. Mostly what I did was choose a load and try it at different ranges (I'll experiment with different loads as I spend more time at the range with it). For the same reason, I also used the cusion wads in their full 1/2" thickness. As I do more shooting, I'll cut them to one-half and one-third their thickness to see if performance is affected.

Disclaimer: I'm used to rifled pistols with sights. This was my first time shooting a smoothbore pistol with no rear sight and a bead front, so I wasn't expecting stellar accuracy.

IMG_1880.jpg

The load was 7/8 oz. of the aforementioned #6 shot (using my Lee adjustable shot dipper) and an equal volume of 3F GOEX, OP wad, lubed cusion wad, and OS card. I used my adjustable powder measure to see how much powder the shot dipper was throwing, and it showed 55 grains volume, so I used the powder measure set at that volume for the shot tests. The close shots were at three yards (that's my "Oh s#*@!! A snake!!" range).

IMG_1883.jpg

Opened up at five yards...

IMG_1882.jpg

I didn't go beyond five yards with the shot loads because my time was limited and I was eager to get to the round ball testing. I'll try longer ranges next time I go.

IMG_1810.jpg

I tried 30 grains of 2F GOEX first, followed by an OP wad, and a patched ball (always loaded sprue-up). First group was 1" at five yards...

IMG_1817.jpg

The second group was 3 3/4" at ten yards...

IMG_1818.jpg

I decided to switch to 3F to see if it made an improvement. It was a good move, this gun likes 3F better. First group was under 3/4" at five yards...

IMG_1878.jpg

Moving out to ten yards, it was doing 1 1/2", much better than with 2F...

IMG_1877.jpg

I was also getting 1 1/2" at 15 yards...

IMG_1887.jpg

I snapped this picture right after shooting that group at 15 yards, I thought it would be cool to show you a shooter's perspective...

IMG_1885.jpg

It was performing pretty well, so I wanted to go farther, but the pistol line only goes to 17 yards. So I went over to the rifle line and set up a target at 25 yards. This was definitely challenging with no rifling, no rear sight, and that big gold ball covering the target. Not exactly precision shooting, but it's fun trying. The rifle line is also out in the open and is pretty windy (the wind was gusting from the right). So, still using 30 grains 3F, this is what I got...

IMG_1888.jpg

There were two problems with that group: With the first shot (the one on the right), I jerked the trigger. I knew I had pulled the shot a bit. On the second shot (the one on the left), a right-to-left gust of wind suddenly blew when I fired. I think it might have been better if not for these two factors. But, I was out of time and I had to pack up and git. Later I plan to try larger charges, hopefully the groups will stay tight.

I also tried some one-hand shots with 60 grains of powder just to try the recoil. The weight of the gun dampens it a bit. It wasn't a problem at all, very manageable.

The patches didn't look too bad (they got dirty from all the mud)...

IMG_1822.jpg

It's always fun punching holes...

IMG_1820.jpg

But my bucket won't be used for mop water now...

IMG_1821.jpg

The 19 gauge OP wads were pretty tough to load, as were the .615" balls. I'll try 20 gauge components and .600" balls next time and see how it affects loading and performance. But 3F is definitely the granulation of choice for this gun.

I realize a smoothbore pistol isn't really intended for precision roundball shooting at 25 yards, but overall I was pretty happy with it's performance. I just regretted not having time to shoot more. More testing with shot loads will be in the near future, as will juggling the charges and cushion wad thicknesses. But for now, these results are a decent baseline to work from and start working up loads. This was all done with one pistol, I still haven't shot the other two yet. So I have a lot of 'work' ahead of me. :hatsoff:

Excellent report! Those guns can shoot! I would like to see how they perform at longer ranges with shot. It would make a perfect bunny gun if it can hold a pattern at hunting ranges. All my guns like 3f goex.

Thanks a lot Jumpshot! :bow:

I got some friends here in germany that are already really keen on Howdah range reports. :grin:
They will love what they see... :thumbsup:

Thank you for posting!
You did some fine shooting - with the Howdah and with the camera. :wink: :grin:

Thanks for the Report!And thanks for the systematic professional approach yeilding valid conclusions! You may just end up as a writer for a gun Magazine!
Sure looks like the Howhad is doing Exactly what it is designed to do very well!
Id love to have one! :thumbsup:

It won't have the range of a shotgun/musket, but to give me something to work towards (and since this is my first smoothbore pistol), what would you guys consider useful/realistic hunting ranges for this gun ("No good if it can't pattern beyond xx yards")? Which shot sizes/amounts for which critters? I'll work on your recommendations and see what it'll do (but keep in mind it's only an 11 1/4" barrel).

:bow: Lordy, that's certainly one mean a$$ gun. It will certainly do a good job on clearing snakes and knock down a Buffalo for a repeat. Howdah pistols were carried when one was hunting Tigers on the backs of elephants in a basket called a "Howdah." You see it was considered ra-a-a-ather "bad form" to allow the tiger up on the elephant's back---with one sitting their with the missus. So the pistol was considered to be "rather good form" or a "good show" when one dispatched the beast with the pistol.I say, splendid Faversham, good show. :hatsoff:

looks like those #6's are doing fine but IMO #5 would be suitable for game and larger birds. and even coyote and 2 legged varmints if need arise.

Jumpshot, thanks for the excellant report! That's some fine shooting you did, considering the lack of sights and rifling!

I've been eyeing those pistols with a great deal of curiosity and envy. I'm a big double barrel pistol fan since my very first muzzleloader was a double barrel pistol. I'll be eagerly waiting to see how it patterns at longer distances.

Thanks again.

Just an update... I spent a little more time with it today working on some shot loads. Being short on time (again), I wasn't able to get as detailed with the loads as I would have liked. I wanted to mainly determine what effect changing the amount of shot and powder would have, so that's what I concentrated on, although I did try a couple of loads with the cusion wad cut in half.

I used 3F for everything. Still using a blend of #6s and #7s, I ended up at a max of 1 1/8 oz. of shot with an equal volume of powder. Recoil was getting a bit stout at that point, and the patterns weren't really any better, so I went back down to a more manageable load. Although I did feel it could handle more, and I'll probably try heavier loads at a later date, just to see what it'll do. The only effect of cutting the fiber cusion wad in half was that it smacked the middle of the target and looked like it might do more damage than any of the shot. :hmm: But I only tried that with a couple of loads. Since I don't think I'll be able to get out to the range for another couple of weeks now, I kind of rushed through it.

For now, here's a quick rundown. After trying a bunch of heavier loads, I ended up going back to 7/8 oz. of shot with an equal volume of 3F, OP wad, fiber cusion wad (1/2" thick, lubed with 50/50 melted Bore Butter and olive oil), and OS card. It was raining and muddy. With my target boards sitting on the ground, some of them were getting splattered with mud as some low-flying shot hit the ground in front of them. You might see mud streaks on them where I had to wipe them off before taking the picture.

Anyway, here are some examples of what I was getting (using a 14" x 14" paper):

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

A couple of caveats: Being in a rush, I jumped around with the loads a bit and wasn't very methodical with the testing. When I slow down and take more time with it, I'm hoping it will improve.

I'm not much of a shotgunner, and I'm sure you guys with more experience will get better results than I am so far. I'm hoping more people here will get one of these guns so I can get some advice on them.

I'm still using 19 gauge components, since that's all I have at the moment. I might get totally different results when I try 20 gauge wads (and different size shot), but that will have to wait a couple of weeks.

At this point, I'm thinking this gun might be good for close-range squirrels or flushing bunnies from the brush. Just a guess; it's a bit early to say yet as it will take more time to find a good load for it, and I have yet to try 20 gauge components.

I posted this on the smoothbore forum for use in a full-length shotgun for turkey but it may work for you as well. Only testing will tell how it will react out of the shorter barrel.
2008_03160007.jpg

The last time I shot at plywood-my brother's .69 cal tower pistol-that ball came whistling back about 3" from my ear. I promptly went out and kicked the plywood over and have never used that as a back stop again. Just a heads up.

Thanks, but I don't think it's a problem. Loaded with a patched .615 ball, it's been chewing big holes out of those plywood boards.

Jumper: In the pic taken of the RB shots at 25 yds, which barrel is which hole? I'm wondering how well the gun is regulated, if it is at all.
Pete

Thanks, now I am going to have to figure what I will have to sell to get one for myself.

Back