• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to keep yer gun loaded for an extended period

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it's nice to bring forward an old thread in case there is new Idea on whatever the subject is. And it is also good for the newer members to see. I don't feel bashful for bringing up on old one if I have a question, or find out that something in it didn't work, or may just have a question to ask about it.

Poor Private said:
And it's nice to bring forward an old thread in case there is new Idea on whatever the subject is. And it is also good for the newer members to see. I don't feel bashful for bringing up on old one if I have a question, or find out that something in it didn't work, or may just have a question to ask about it.

:thumbsup:

AZbpBurner said:
I don't really believe that, at your age, you're actually that obtuse.

My point is that the rule, as stated in all safety briefings, is impossible to follow. A rule that is obviously NOT true all the time is useless as a rule, because as soon as you state it whoever hears it knows its wrong, and knows it can't be followed all the time. If you never state exactly when it doesn't have to be followed, whoever hears it can just decide when it needs to be followed and when it doesn't for themselves. So why bother to have the rule in the first place, if everyone decides when it has to be followed and when it doesn't, which is exactly the case with statement like "Always treat every gun as if it were loaded"?

A more useful rule that can be followed always is "Every time you pick up a gun check to see if it is loaded, unless you already know that it IS loaded" Follow that rule exactly and you will not have the "I didn't know it was loaded" excuse, and you never have to leave it to the individual to decide when the rule doesn't have to be followed (like cleaning your gun).

Perhaps there would be less debate if the slogan was said as I was taught?

TREAT EVERY GUN AS THOUGH IT WAS LOADED UNTIL YOU'VE VERIFIED THAT IT IS NOT.

I suppose there are some people who would argue with that too, which explains why there are people who I refuse to shoot with.

That's a reasonable statement.

I was actually taught the "Every time you pick up a gun..." rule I mentioned before (that was about 40 years ago).

But you can find the "All guns are always loaded" rule all over the place (Jeff Cooper's Rule 1) and its taught to a lot of people.

I think you must admit that if EVERYONE treated all guns like they were ALWAYS LOADED, no one would accidentally get shot.

That includes the many people who have shot themselves while they were trying to clean their guns.

Before someone says, "Well, they were dumb and obviously not familiar with handling guns.", bear in mind that people like Walter M. Cline, the author of The Muzzle-Loading Rifle...THEN and NOW was killed by his own rifle (apparently not on purpose).

Folks visiting with me are told that every gun they see is loaded. When they are handed one, they are instantly more respectful in how they handle it and NOBODY tries to dry fire them.

No sir, you will never hear, "I thought it was empty", here.

Besides, an empty muzzleloader is just a club.

Ohh, my lube over the ball recipe for Florida weather is 6 parts mutton tallow, 1 part beeswax and 2 parts olive oil.

If one wants the chambers sealed hard, skip the olive oil and pour the melted mix over the chamber ends and let it set up.

I feel a charged and capped cylinder is far more dangerous than a loaded gun. Actually it is a loaded gun now it has none of the protections from drop or impact firing as when in the gun frame. Mike D.

Latest posts

Back