• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to keep yer gun loaded for an extended period

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This subject comes up a lot and it always puzzles me. Why would someone load a gun and NOT SHOOT it for an entire year? :confused: :idunno:

These aren't paperweights, folks.

Well you have two problems: moisture from the nipple end and moisture from the chamber end. I've mentioned this before so DON'T SHOOT ME but Robert E. Lee's Colt Navy was lying around for 6-7 years after his death and someone decided to shoot it. All six chambers went off- yeah- I know- you are supposed to only load 5. In any event if I recall correctly the ends of the chambers were plugged with red sealing wax. I'm not sure how good a seal that is, it may be that ole Bob just had that lying around so that's what he used. If I recall there was also some sort of seal at the nipple end but I can't recall if that was wax or something else. The other issue is when this particular revolver was loaded- it could have been at the start of the war in 1861 or 2 not 1865. That would mean about 10 years.
It has always amazed me that once black powder is put into a firearm we all have a panic attack about sealing out moisture. We don't pour wax or smear crisco over the canister cap on a can of black powder or on a flask spout or the spout on a powder horn- all that black powder seems to weather things pretty well. In any event I think a loaded black powder gun will be good to go for quite some time.
On keeping a loaded black powder gun lying around- I'm sort of split on the matter. As a general rule I think it is a bad idea because too many folks assume a muzzle loading weapon is empty. During our 3 day muzzleloader season I just put the ramrod in the bore at day's end as a sort of flag that the rifle is loaded and if I didn't get an animal I unload the rifle at the end of the third day. On a revolver- if it doubles as a home self defense pistol then I can see why someone would want to keep it loaded and I think that's okay if there aren't any kids around and the gun itself is kept out of sight and anyone else in the household knows it's loaded- or put a pencil in the muzzle as a reminder, etc.

Fellas, I have been told by several civil war reinactors that they use a honey ring. Yep thats what seals your toilet. in loading up their blank charges. they say it works real good to prevent multiple discharges. I have never tried it. Have any of you you any experience with these honey rings. hounddog

crockett said:
It has always amazed me that once black powder is put into a firearm we all have a panic attack about sealing out moisture. We don't pour wax or smear crisco over the canister cap on a can of black powder or on a flask spout or the spout on a powder horn- all that black powder seems to weather things pretty well.
I can only speak for myself, but a capped can would be different from a loaded revolver. My thinking would be, if there isn't an airtight seal from both ends of the cylinder, then it would pretty much be like pouring it out on a table, and leaving it there. Maybe not, but that's where I'm coming from.

Something else to consider: for those who have refrigerated air, would the relative humidity not be very low indoors, eliminating concern? I know swamp coolers/no coolers would be a different story.

mykeal said:
This subject comes up a lot and it always puzzles me. Why would someone load a gun and NOT SHOOT it for an entire year? :confused: :idunno:

prabably because I have lots of guns

DSCF4139.jpg

Those toilet rings- things may have changed but at one time they were made of beeswax and my experience with beeswax is that it will melt at about 140 degrees and is extremely flammable- NOT the stuff you want sealing the ends of chambers loaded with bullets. Chain fire fer sure.

Greenmtnboy said:
mykeal said:

So do I, but I don't load the ones I'm not using just to sit around and collect dust. I don't get it.

I'm an .44 1858 Remington New Army shooter. I've only got three (so far,) two with 8" barrels and one with a 5-1/2" barrel. And I have a copy of a .44 1860 Colt Navy. I only shoot them maybe once a week. I leave the 5-1/2" inch Remington pistol loaded to serve as a self-defense pistol at home, and I've never had any problem with it not firing or chain-firing. I don't normally put anything over a charged chamber to seal it. I've never experienced more than one cylinder firing when I shoot them.
Recently though, a buddy of mine convinced me to start sealing loaded chambers with Crisco if that pistol is going to sit around loaded for a while.

Only bad thing I can see is the Crisco gets on the target when you fire it. I don't guess a bad guy is going to be too concerned about getting splattered with Crisco, though, probably more concerned about that .454 ball.

Back in the day, they didn't obsess about loaded pistols all that much unless the weather was wet. I did read somewhere that Bill Hickok discharged, cleaned and re-loaded his 1851 Colts every morning before breakfast, but I think he was probably a lot more worried about failure-to-fire than your average denizen of the West. (Not that it helped him any when he got murdered.)

I have kept both of my BP revolvers loaded with black powder for over 4 months and both fired perfectly. I did not use a over ball sealent, or put anything on the caps but my home has air-conditioning and humidity is very low. This might not work in a moist environment. One of the previous posts recounted a revolver that was kept loaded for a decade and still shot well and in my opinion this is not a fluke. Black powder revolvers would probibly shoot after much more time than this.
nilo52 :thumbsup:

excellent shooting!

i keep my Ruger Old Army loaded (all six) for around a year (sometimes more, sometimes less- depends on how much time i have to make smoke). about thirty grains of FFFg, a paper wad, some filler (corn meal) a lubed wad, and a round ball, with nothing on top.

I don't seal the caps, and it's never failed to fire. It's in my nightstand, waiting for the home invader (although i'm pretty sure that my wife's dog will get him before i can even get to the party).

just one guy's free opinion, and well worth the price!

"So do I, but I don't load the ones I'm not using just to sit around and collect dust. I don't get it."

If you load a revolver to pack along with your long gun on a hunt but never have reason to fire it would you empty it out just so you can clean it?

Well- I don't think I've ever been accused of being with the safety police but as a general rule I don't think it is a good idea to keep a cap and ball revolver loaded in the house. With a modern revolver you can unload very easily and safely. At the end of one hunting season, I did unload a cap and ball revolver because it was going to be a while before I'd do any range shooting. I could have fired off in the woods but then I'd have a clean up task when I got home so I unloaded. While hunting season is underway I just keep it loaded but it is under close control at all times.
The big problem, as I see it is, someone else having access to the gun and just assuming no one would leave a loaded gun around. If you live by yourself ok however YOU are no more safe that the idiot friend, relative, etc that may be in your house that finds the gun. I once had an old school buddy, an engineer and really smart guy, that picked up an empty rifle and started pointing it around but he never checked to see if it was or wasn't loaded. Even smart people are capable of really stupid acts.

Greenmtnboy said:
Before I load I swab out my cylinders with 90% rubbing alc.. I then load my charge of thirty grns of fffg goex then I put a dry wad over my powder(I have found a greased wad foules powder over time)seat my .457 ball then a combo of deer tallow and marmot oil over the ball.
I loaded and carried my 1860 44 cap & ball for almost a year.
Muzzleloading season is just around the corner so I shot it to clean and reload before season. I shot it on paper to see if it's just as dead nutts as it was when I loaded it in Nov for back up bunny hunting.
yup...

It's the top target at 25 yrds rested five shots

DSCF6367.jpg

If you carried it for a year with the same loads you are not practicing with it enough :grin: .
I used to shoot mine at least 3 times a week.
Bill Hickok shot his Navys every day.

Dan

And we know that to be a fact because the History Channel said so! :haha:
But they also said that was necessary because the powder shrinks over night. :rotf:

I rarely shoot caplocks but a good way to seal a cap to a nipple is to coat it with fingernail polish.

Many Klatch

mykeal said:
Greenmtnboy said:
mykeal said:

So do I, but I don't load the ones I'm not using just to sit around and collect dust. I don't get it.
they never collect dust because I ALWAYS carry a side arm and switch them out constantly.
Some I shoot a lot some I keep loaded and cleaned to tramps the woods with, as you can see from the target I ain't out of practice.

My mind is feeble, and I can't be too sure, but I do remember readings years ago that there was a practice in the "olden days" of sealing the nipples after the caps were applied. While it might not be a big deal for us urban cowboys, if you were out in the elements and got rained on, rode across a creek or river, etc... having the nipples sealed might be important. I recall some sort of wax was used.If someone takes a BP side arm with the while hunting, they could still run into such a situation today. FWIW.

Todd

Latest posts

Back