• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how many camps do you have?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When You go to an event or Rondezvous how many set ups do you have.... I know some folks that have a wall tent they take if its a three to five day event, if its just an overnighter they take a wedge tent or a tin tipi...

We have a wall tent and quite honestly if we cant stay at least 2 nights I hate to do it... takes to much to put up and take it all down..

The wife and I are looking at a 10X12 wedge right now.

I have a phoney tent set up in the yard and we are looking at the plastic monster and trying to decide if we will have enough room inside a canvas model to be comfortable for a weekend. The wedges are just much easier to set up and tear down then the big wall tents.

We have a 10x12 wall tent and a 14x16 wall tent and I hate to set them up. Despise hauling around the poles!

I'll switch to a small tent and big awning any day! You live under the awning and only sleep in the tent!

:imo:

Lets' see, depends on the time period...but I have 3 tipis, one wall tent, french bell wedge, and two large tarps. And all this for one person. Right now I am primarily using the wall tent and smaller tarp till my knee heels and then hope to go back to using the 17' tipi and one tarp with 10' tipi for storage.

Gee, if I could find that right man to help set up all this stuff. :results:

Well, Cookie, let's see...depends upon what kind of event we're going on and for how long. My family has a 16' tipi for those longer stays, but we need new poles, and frankly, my folks are kinda gettting on in years. It's a bit much for me to set up. I personally have a 1760's style wedge tent with a bell back, works pretty good for just me and my son until recent years. It's about 6'H X 8' L X 6' W plus an 18" bell. My folks also have a wedge simliar in size as well as a 10' X 8' Wall tent. If we take all the military canvas, we set up three individual camps, plus an awning. Lots of canvas, but everyone's got room to spread out!! Looking to invest in another wedge tent same as mine for my ever growing teenaged son! Besides, he's getting too old to sleep with MOM in a small space! :m2c:

Hand that boy a diamond shelter and tell him its time to fend for himself RedHairedWench! A boy's got to grow up sometime, might as well be at a reenactment camp.

Me and my son used to hook two diamond shelters together sometimes. Most of the time it was me in the wedge and him under a tarp of some kind. He'd crawl into the wedge if the weather got real bad.

My son always enjoyed having his own shelter at camps. He still ambled over to check on the grub supply on a regular basis though.

Long as mom keeps cooking he won't wander far.

:thumbsup:

Ghost
does it look like the 10x12 will work? I guess I want my cake and to eat it to..we have a snap together bedframe...wonder if that would fit ok.....getting to old to climb up :( I think our wall tent is 12x14

Tipis Your set up for anything... I would sure hate to be putting that stuff up myself to... I like the looks of the wedge tents with the bells that both you and Redhairedwench have... I have never seen one around at any of the Rondezvous here. They are later then 1840 arent they? I love the looks of the tipis and they are so snug inside... one of the guys in our club has an awesome set up...

RedHairedwench, I have a nephew that got a Whealen (sp) he loves having his own shelter...the diamond shelter sounds like a nice start for your boy, and easy to haul to lol..... I have a daughter that we were kinda looking for something for, but I think her interests are going in another direction :rolleyes:... so I guess we dont need to worry about it.

I kinda liked the bakers tents to but I think they are as much work as the wall tents in some ways....I think if we got a wedge tent that we would probably need a couple one for storage..

The problem is that with this new wife mate along on the trips we really need the 14x16 every time we walk out the door! (course she claims that it's all of my old plunder that's filling up the tent!)

Course before her I didn't have that full sized bed or the feather tick, or the shelving unit, or all of those flussey polynaise gowns hanging from the ridgepole, or the misquito net, and there's the blanket cheast and Lord knows what necessities I'm scared to ask about. I ain't looked in the big basket and I'm not going too!

Now mind you this is for the short stays! Last year at the southeastern we were the ones with two trucks and the trailer in tow.

Course she's having to navigate around about fourty'leven rifles, smoothbores, shooting bags and powder horns! (God help us if someone yells fire!) Not to mention the bows and arrows and baskets of extra moccs and stacks of man clothes she ain't used too!

I'm honestly thinking about setting up a 10x12 wedge with the 8x10 wedge hooked to the back as a walk in closet! I can still have both of them standing up in a fourth of the time a wall tent would take and I would still be hauling around less wood for the side poles.

If I sit up the bed on one side we can still stand up in the center of the 10x12 wedge tent, and at each end, though getting into bed may be a crawl in from the end adventure. Even with the 10x12 wall tent we could not stand up if we put the bed in the center of the tent.

I really need a good covered wagon and a four mule hitch. It might be slow but I'd have everything right there where I need it and eliminate the packing and unpacking.

Would you believe that two years ago I was camping out of two boxes 18x18x24" and a Panther medium wedge! Sometimes I just took my packbasket and a diamond shelter.

Life sure can change fast! I'm not griping on her either! I never had nearly as much fun without her along! I'll just haul the extra load and grin a lot.

:thumbsup:

For Rondy's, my family uses a Panther large wedge with a bell back. We use cots to keep the center clear. That gives pleanty of room for a couple of camp boxes at the foot of each cot. We keep most of the gear and the cooking supplies in this. Not really PC, but niether is a canvas cooler cover. :peace:

Storage Tent

I have a 9 x 15 marquee, a 12 x 12 pyramid, and a 12 x 12 diamond

If we get into what is appropriate for a time period...the French or Bell back wedges can be traced back before the fronteir days. The Baker is a modern 19th cent. thing...and tipis of cloth to the 1840s' time period.

I love my tipis...and do set all this up by myself...but, only take one of the camps with me at a time. Not all the canvas. Now that is just a little too much for little ole me. :eek: :imo: :what: Right now, I am favouring the 8x12 Tentsmith wall tent with my wood frame bed a friend made for me. Lots of room in tent and under the bed for storage and it is well made. :imo:
Did have another wood bed made from Cypress, but it was too high and needed a foot stool to get up in. I could have slept someone else under the bed. :rolleyes: :shocking:So, instead of cutting it down, it is now in my guest bedroom for visitors. And, it still has all the storage space under it for my goods. The guest think it is a hoot to clime up into. :crackup: :crackup:

Like many of us here, I am getting a bit sore in the bones and creeky in the joints to keep getting off the ground on those cold or warm mornings. :cry: :cry:

I finally have a good picture of my rondeevoo camp. My trekking camp is MUCH smaller.

buckskinnerlodge.jpg

This is a fairly decent photo of No Deer (left) and Plumebleu (right, facing) on a little overnighter we did the first week of February. My total gear for this one fits on the passenger side of the truck.

wintercamp.jpg

ghost, my neighbor has the 10x12 wedge with a bell back and it looks huge next to my 9x7 wedge...he has plenty of room inside for his double bed, storage, etc....took two of us to put it up, no problems. :thumbsup:

This is a photo of my bachelor camp at the national rondy on the Flathead so far back I can't remember when. It was the combo rondy of the NMLRA and the Buckskin Report bunch, so that should date it. Anyhow, I had one of them little rice rocket trucks stuffed plumb full to get all this stuff there. In the photo I'm holding my rifle "Big Dog" -- but that's a story in itself that I aint gonna bring up right now.
Dale Flathead2a.jpg

This other picture is part of the camp with Glacier Natl. park in the back ground. I'm putting it in just because I think it's pretty.
flathead rondy.jpg

As with others on this post I have two lodges I use. The first is a 14X14 1790's Officers tent by Don Strinz. I will only set it up for events three nights stay or longer as It takes us about an hour and a half to get it up, and another hour to get the inside camp ready, You know full size bed, Three dog stove and all the other little things that make momma and I comfortable. Lot of lumber to haul but worth it at the longer events.
The second is a 9X9X7 wedge from Rk Lodges, it goes up in a few minutes and provides enough room for momma and myself if we remember to leave the kitchen sink at home, if you know what I mean. A blow up mattress sideways at one end gives enough room for the rest of what we bring.
I have a 12X15 Awning for the Strinz and plan on getting a small awning for the wedge.
I haul every thing in an old 4x7 National rental trailer with the center pole tied on top.

Latest posts

Back