• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you cock your lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on DBL'S we see some people reaching over cocking the left hammer first then the right barrel hammer, it also seems odd doing it that way. jmho.

Don’t have a flintlock presently but on original and some replicas I have seen I’ve noticed a safety. That seems like a good idea for any rifle used primarily for hunting. Quick and quiet…

Generally I just use the web of the thumb for percussion guns.

I know what your thinking, what kind of dumb question is this but I've always thought about this but never really heard a definitive answer. How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock? Do you simply use your thumb like any other gun with a hammer or do you grab a hold of the cock with your hand to pull it back? I see people do both. Is there a right or wrong way or just a matter of personal preference? Thanks
I use my index and middle finger

On my doglock fowler, to bring it to half cock and set the dog it works to pull the cock back with my right index and middle fingers while pushing the dog forward with my thumb. Then it's easy to be consistent when it's time to bring it to full cock by using the same two fingers. Perhaps that's a reason doglocks went away, it's another piece to manipulate.

I know what your thinking, what kind of dumb question is this but I've always thought about this but never really heard a definitive answer. How do you pull back the cock on your flintlock? Do you simply use your thumb like any other gun with a hammer or do you grab a hold of the cock with your hand to pull it back? I see people do both. Is there a right or wrong way or just a matter of personal preference? Thanks
Good Question, I never really thought about before, I find I cup my right hand ,hold it vertically and pull the cock back with the two lower fingers hooked over the flint jaw screw.

The Lock and stock will choose for you; I have some that I can easily reach with my thumb and easily pull back, others I use my off (left) hand, then there is my Blunderbuss that requires a Tight shouldering and full grip with my left to pry it back.
Sometimes my stance also change 'how' I cock it; standing, crouching, kneeling, sitting at a bench...
Worse was when I was still recovering from a broken rib and soare shoulder...not only cocking was a pain but sneaking out behind my wife's back with a rifle in hand was a chore!

Latest posts

Back