• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you guys fill your powder horns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomerang said:
How do you guys fill your powder horns? With a funnel or is there an easier way?

Don't let these guys fool you. They all love to joke and mess with heads.

Powder horns believe it or not come pre-filled. Once they are empty, you simply use that horn as decor and order a new pre-filled horn to use. I must have at least 2 dozen empty horns out in the shop to sell at rendezvous.

Most places offer the popular black powder brands so just call and ask for a pre-filled power horn with your powder of choice :thumbsup:

FML said:
Don't let these guys fool you. They all love to joke and mess with heads.

Powder horns believe it or not come pre-filled. Once they are empty, you simply use that horn as decor and order a new pre-filled horn to use. I must have at least 2 dozen empty horns out in the shop to sell at rendezvous.

Most places offer the popular black powder brands so just call and ask for a pre-filled power horn with your powder of choice :thumbsup:
If anyone else had said that I would have said they were "full of it"

But coming from you....I actually believe that's how you do it..... :rotf: :rotf:

I too use a piece of paper rolled into a funnel. You just have to pour slow depending on the size of your powder horns pour hole.
I have also used a small kitchen funnel. It does need to be lined up perfect if your horn won't fit into the funnel end.
After reading this thread I think I may just use my hand. I can't believe I never did it that way. :doh:

JI said:
After reading this thread I think I may just use my hand. I can't believe I never did it that way. :doh:

Everybody should give it a try. It's dirt simple and easy.

Just grasp the horn spout like this...

Then go ahead and wrap the rest of your hand closed around the horn forming a pocket over the spout...

Start pouring in the powder...

And continue until the horn is full...

It doesn't get any easier. :thumbsup: I had my wife take these pictures while I filled my horn outside today when the wind was blowing pretty good. Barely spilled a few grains and that was only because of the wind.

It works for priming horns with really small spout holes too.

I use the plastic squeeze ketchup/mustard bottles sold at the dollar stores. I trim the spout to suit the horns mouth. I have two one for filling my horns and one for filling my primer gizzies. Just fill the bottle and squeeze. Fills the horn with nearly no spillage. The powder is literally blown into the horn was well as gravity fed. BJH

I've done that more then once, and a paper funnel too. However a little brass funnel works best for me. Some times all my horns seem to make a clog and I have to tap the horn to get it to run in. The funnel formed from the thumb and finger fills up so quick I spill powder. I seem to have more control with a little funnel.
None of my horns have a bung in the bottom.

rusty said:
I use the paper funnel method myself seems to work fine and it is simple,but I can see where a nice little metal funnel would come in handy.

Now, why didn't I think of that. Getting ready to finally start using a powder horn that was given to me and want to do a test fill but was scratching my head a bit about how to funnel the propellant into that rather small hole.

Thanks rusty.

I just filled my powder horn last night! What I did was first fill my flask, and the diameter of the spout fit nicely into the hole in the horn which I held open. Took about three or so flasks to completely fill the horn.

I've got a small funnel but it's too big in diameter to fit in the horn spout.

Gene L said:
I just filled my powder horn last night! What I did was first fill my flask, and the diameter of the spout fit nicely into the hole in the horn which I held open. Took about three or so flasks to completely fill the horn.
I'll bet if you worked on it, you could make it even more laborious? :applause:

When you put gas in your car, do you first put the gas in a can, then pour it in the car? :rotf:

Since my funnel doesn't fit and I don't have another way to put in powder without spilling some of it,I used the flask...which I held open to disperse the powder (the clear up my post which had a misplaced modifier.)

Gene L said:
Since my funnel doesn't fit and I don't have another way to put in powder without spilling some of it,,
As illustrated above, you can use this method without spilling one grain. (You could also make a paper funnel and pour the powder only once.)

IMG_0635_zps3fioffct.jpg

I use a small copper funnel I made to fit the opening of my horns. It travels in my gun bag.

Back