• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How Do You Fill Your Powder Measure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landngroove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
When filling your powder measure, do you just pour the powder to the set charge, or do you pour the powder into the measure, and tap it to settle it, then pour a little more to level it? I weighed 3 volume charges of 100 grains, Goex FFG, both ways, and found that the poured charge was about 97 to 98 grains. The charge that was poured and tapped, then leveled weighed about 106 to 108 grains. Probably doesn't matter, as long as you fill your measure the same each time, and aren't pushing your load at the maximum end.

When filling your powder measure, do you just pour the powder to the set charge, or do you pour the powder into the measure, and tap it to settle it, then pour a little more to level it? I weighed 3 volume charges of 100 grains, Goex FFG, both ways, and found that the poured charge was about 97 to 98 grains. The charge that was poured and tapped, then leveled weighed about 106 to 108 grains. Probably doesn't matter, as long as you fill your measure the same each time, and aren't pushing your load at the maximum end.

I slightly overfill my powder measure, even it with the funnel and load. I try to avoid tapping while filling to get about the same mesure each time.
Dave

I use a deer antler powder measure. I don't normally tap mine. I think the most important thing is to always do it the same way.

I use an adjustable brass measure that has a funnel that swivels over the end. I fill it to where there's a bit of a "heap" then tap it until it levels out so I can move the funnel over it without scraping off any powder.
Not sure what the actual weight is, but as you say, as long as you do it the same way every time it shouldn't matter.

I fill it without tapping unless I overfill it a tad. Then I brush the excess off so it is level at the top. Seems to work ok and as stated earlier as long as you do it the same very time and have adjusted using the same way you will be fine.

Dave_B said:
I slightly overfill my powder measure, even it with the funnel and load. I try to avoid tapping while filling to get about the same mesure each time.
Dave

Same

I did the experiment also.
I measured ten charges where I tapped the measure and ten where I didn't tap.
The charges that were tapped had a huge difference in weight charge after charge.
The non-tapped charges were very consistent. All were almost exactly the same in weight.
Now I just fill the measure to the top and level the charge with the funnel.
I have seen a noticeable difference on the range.

HD

Dave_B said:
I slightly overfill my powder measure, even it with the funnel and load. I try to avoid tapping while filling to get about the same measure each time.
Dave

I do it the same way.

Garryowen

interesting i usually tap mine figured it made it more consistant. well looks like i need to try something differant thanks for the info.

curly maple

Useing a deer tine for a powder measure -How big should the tine be and how do you hollow out the inside to hold 70- 80 grains of powder. Where could I get a tine big enough to use. All the tines I have are small and will not hold a powder charge of 70-80 grains of powder. Mudd Turtle.

I use a long, relatively narrow measure. Turkey thigh bones or antler tines. I figure that gives me a more consistant pour as the "top" is smaller and any heaping or shortage has less area to occur (if you see what I'm saying). I don't tap as I fill, and I usually just pour until level. If I overfill I may give it a knock with a finger to spill off the extra. I guess that counts as a single tap.

I find them in junk shops mostly. I use a drill bit and keep working carefully until it's large enough.

Mine is also made from deer antler, and I don't tap.

I made mine from the base of the antler (the crown portion), which is thick enough to drill out good. I started with a 1/8" bit and kept moving to larger ones to keep it straight and true. Mine holds 70 grains level.

as stated above in most posts....
Consisttency in your method, and Repeatability.

same way, same steps, everytime.

Brett

I use the changable spouts which screw onto my powder flask or my powder horn.
I invert the flask/horn, place my right index finger over the end ot the measure and push the valve button. Shake the flask/horn three times, release the button and pour the powder into a brass measure for delivery to the muzzle. :)

Mudd Turtle,

I picked this up off the web somewhere. For me, it has worked out to be pretty accurate:

"Nice powder chargers can be made by drilling out an antler tip. Use a drill of 29/64ths (.453") diameter and each quarter-inch (.250") of depth will be very, very close to 10 gr-wgt of powder by volume. Drill a hole for a thong in the tip so it will hang upside down and dry. Tie it to your possibles bag strap."

GrayBear

Back