• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How consistent are you.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandpa Ron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Having shot a few nice 3 and 5 shot groups at 25 yards I thought I might try my hand at the 50 yard shooting at the Muzzleloading Nationals. :grin:

Match 120, is shot with a 54 cal. or greater smoothie, with no rear sight and no set trigger. It was just the right match for a Trade gun. Plus it is 13 shots and you get to drop three of those pesky flyers that you get and only count the ten best. What could be better? :thumbsup: You are however limited to 30 minutes.

Well it seems that 10 out of 13 well placed shots if not so easy after all. The winners shoot in the 92 to 94 range; with the 9 ring is only 6” in diameter and the 10 ring is only 3” in diameter.

In several attempts the best I have done it second with an 87. :idunno:

I talking with the other competitors, I feel the secret is not so much in the load, because those vary with the shooters and their guns. Rather I feel the winners are remarkably consistent in mounting their guns the same way for each shot.

So I was curious, how tight a group can you shoot 10 of 13 shots into? :hmm:

On a good day I can keep 5 of the shots in the black at 50 yards on the 100 yard rifle target. This is the one with the 8 ring the outer one in the black. Never shot any more than 5 at that target. I also would like to try that match. At 100 yards it is a manure shoot as to whether I can hit the target. So it would be a 80 if all the shots hit on the outer perimeter of the 8 ring shooting this target at 50 yards. I do believe the smoothbore target is larger than this one.

Bob

Riteree i love your statement this fits me realy good also
But i do get a good pattern of shot and PRB goese sorta were it needs to go
40 yards i hitten the taget 12x12'' some even in the 8'' circles
But then i probly eat alot more vegi's then meat

I built my last fusil with out sights, as if it had been shortened. If I was careful I could get some good groups at 50 yards, about 4 inch from a rest 6 inch off hand. Real pia. so I broke down and put sights on it. It is so much easier. now I dont have to concentrait on the middle of the curve at the muzzle,tang bolt and middle of the flat, and target. Just up to the shoulder and the sights fall in to line...boom. Now I am proud to say I can get 4 inch groups off a rest and 6 inch off hand. God bless technology.

On a good day my offhand groups are and honest 10” at 50 yards for 10 good shots: on a very good day closer to 8 inches. “Warning once you start down this road it is addictive”.

My next match is the smooth bore aggregate, at 25, 50 and 100 yards mixture of animal and bull’s eye targets, 5 shots each.

In all honesty the popularity of the smoothbore is its versatility at short ranges and the use of shot or ball. But for me the opportunity to reach out is irresistible. :wink:

the winners are remarkably consistent in mounting their guns the same way for each shot.

Bingo! You nailed it. That is called finding your 'anchor point'. Not easy, I haven't found mine yet. Need much more practice. Shooting at the NMLRA nationals can be a humbling experience. DAMHIK :redface:

You bet,

There are many similarities between smoothbore shooting and traditional or bare bow shooting.

Both involve repetitive placement of the weapon but more importantly “feel” plays a bigger part.

Easy to say but hard to define, a good shot just feels right. This is true of many muscle memory dependent activities but I find that with the smoothbore, like archery, concentration and practice, practice and more practice helps.

When I was a young buck starting out and shooting at 6 bull targets, an old timer told me, "The load and gun may get you from the a mid-30’s to the low-40’s but practice gets you to the 50 and X’s.

I find my best practice sessions are when I limit myself to 25 shots or so but I live close to the range so I can shoot often. But that is a whole different story for another post. :wink:

Me and a buddy took a kid elk hunting a few years back while pop was in Afghanistan serving, he shot a cow and it dropped to its knees but didn't go down, I said shoot it again! kids says where? Buddy yells "shoot it in the elk...shoot it in the elk!" :rotf: :eek:ff

Well as an update to my original post I have found that 70 grains of 3F pushing a 1/4” lubed wad under a PRB has been the most consistent load in my 54 cal. trade gun.

10 of the 13 shots will fall in an 8” or 9” group, most of the time. This is off hand at 50 yards, no rear sites on what is referred to as a Type G English trade gun with a 42” barrel. At present my group is about 5” above my aim point. :hmm:

To be competitive at the nationals I have to shoot sub 8 inch groups consistently. I find after 4 or 5 shots keeping my concentration becomes difficult and you only have 30 minutes to complete the match.

It has been quite a challenge.

Back