• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How can I (or, can I? ) repair my broken Bess ramrod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyBishop

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I recently broke my ramrod on my repro 1768 short land bess after an especially rough day of fouling. It was my fault. I shouldn't have forced it. I should have cleaned it earlier. Anyway it's done now I ordered 2 more from Loyalist Arms but until then is there anything I can do aside from oxy-ace welding that could make it sound again? My dad figures maybe silver solder? JB weld? I doubt it but any suggestions I will take. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 20210322_212444.jpg
    20210322_212444.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 101
She was quite shiny when we got her but figured she'd look better with some patina. Make her look old, no? She's an Indian made musket. Bought through Loyalist Arms out of Nova Scotia. I proofed it with 350 grains of powder and 2 .715 balls. No problems. Except for the ramrod. Damn.....

Attachments

• 20210322_214027.jpg
    20210322_214027.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 81
Perhaps a small metal sleeve JB weld, Do not know the diameter but you may also be able to use a fired cartridge case the dia. you need and JB weld. might not fit the thimbles but at least it would be serviceable until the others arrive.

The tapered tip is usually a separate piece that was likely silver soldered with a little bit of solder to hold it together. @painter has the right approach to make a Vee at the break, weld and smooth it out. Keep the bore cleaner and don't force the rod.

When the new ram rods arrive, apply some more silver solder to beef up that joint.

Randy, you sure it is a break look closely it could be just bent and the gap you see is where the two pieces were put together, if so one thing that could be done is heat the area of separation with a torch (think propane type ) and place in a vice and slowly tighten the vice to take the bend out , let cool and using two sets of pliers and thin leather in the plier jaws one above and one below the area and slowly tighten the joint. The ones I have seen and repaired on the repro civil war rifles were screwed toether.

Randy, you sure it is a break look closely it could be just bent and the gap you see is where the two pieces were put together, if so one thing that could be done is heat the area of separation with a torch (think propane type ) and place in a vice and slowly tighten the vice to take the bend out , let cool and using two sets of pliers and thin leather in the plier jaws one above and one below the area and slowly tighten the joint. The ones I have seen and repaired on the repro civil war rifles were screwed toether.

It's got a crack in it yes it's not just bent

Perhaps a small metal sleeve JB weld, Do not know the diameter but you may also be able to use a fired cartridge case the dia. you need and JB weld. might not fit the thimbles but at least it would be serviceable until the others arrive.

Luckily it broke before it had to try to fit.

Attachments

• 20210322_223334.jpg
    20210322_223334.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 62
Hello everyone. I recently broke my ramrod on my repro 1768 short land bess after an especially rough day of fouling. It was my fault. I shouldn't have forced it. I should have cleaned it earlier. Anyway it's done now I ordered 2 more from Loyalist Arms but until then is there anything I can do aside from oxy-ace welding that could make it sound again? My dad figures maybe silver solder? JB weld? I doubt it but any suggestions I will take. Thank you for your time.
Call Track of the Wolf for a new one.

Back