• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I bought an original SXS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

megasupermagnum

45 Cal.
Reaction score
As the title says, I believe I have purchased an original percussion SXS shotgun. I never could come to like my Pedersoli, it just wasn't for me. I have been looking for some time, but everything I found was either junk or $3000+. One day this "10 gauge Lane" came on for $700. The finish was well worn, otherwise I didn't see any rust or pitting. The bores looked good. My only hold back was the 26" barrels. I like a more forward bias than many shotgun shooters. I finally decided to buy it anyway, it wasn't a huge investment.

So it showed up today, and it looked better than the pictures. The bores are very nice looking from what I can see, I'll try some heavy loads first with a string, but I see no reason to question the safety of them. The first thing I did was bring it up, and found the stock fit me like it was built for me. I also noticed how heavy the barrels were. It has a nice forward weight bias, as I prefer. According to my scale, it is 8 pounds 14 ounces. Contrary to many, I'd rather have a large bore shotgun weight closer to 10-11 pounds, but 9 is just fine. I ran the ramrod down to make sure it was not loaded, and ran a few patches down to check for roughness. I then noticed both barrels were noticeably tighter at the muzzle. I measured the muzzles, and found some odd number. I then broke out my bore gauges, and found that they are choked. I also found it is not a 10 gauge. The right barrel bore (about 3" down from muzzle) is .808", and the muzzle is .798". The left barrel bore is .804", and the muzzle is .792". So what I really have is a SXS 9 gauge, and both barrels are choked about Improved Cylinder. I really like the small details of this gun. Somebody took the time to make sure details as small as the screws were perfect. Even the screw head slots are all perfectly inline with the gun. There is a notch at the muzzle to retain the ramrod from moving under recoil. The wedge keys are captive like the Pedersoli. I'm really impressed by the triggers. The springs are very strong, stronger than any lock I've handled before, yet the triggers break nice and clean around 5 pounds.

Now that brings me to my question, is there any way to figure out who made this? Did I make a good purchase? The add said it was a "Lane", which is scribed on both locks. By my quick research, Lane could have been a few people, but all seemed to be English lock makers. The only writing I've found on the barrel is on the top rib, it says "fine London twist". The solder used for the barrels is also silver, which I'm told points to being British. I've taken a picture of the bottom of the barrels, but they are only stamps, I can only assume are proof marks. I have not found a signature of any kind.

This was the auction, with even more pictures. Nice Original Lane 10 Gauge side x side Muzzleloading Shotgun Percussion - Black Powder Rifles & Muzzleloader Rifles at GunBroker.com : 888995953

0114211205.jpg

0114211206.jpg

0114211206a.jpg

0114211145.jpg

if you done good or not on this shotgun will really depend on the condition of the bores. Assuming that they are good as you stated, I think you done well. Even if you did pay a little bit too much, it would not be enough to worry about.

I have bought and sold quite a few old shotguns and have 3 currently. One of my favorites is an old war horse that looks like it has seen some sights.

I think you done good.

Fleener

Well, more research has turned up very little. I did find another guy from years ago who also describes having a sxs that only says "Lane" on the locks, but no other words besides fine London twist on the barrels. Another member conjectured that it may have been George Lane, 33 lench st, Birmingham. A quick search finds that person listed in 1849 as a "gun stocker". No other Lane was listed there. Not a lot of info for any Lane SXS's, and no pictures to speak of.

I found a chart of proof marks, and while slightly hard to make out, I am fairly confident this was proofed in Birmingham, 1855 to 1868. I assume the 10 means it was proofed as a 10 gauge.

Someone did bring up an interesting question, just how do the laws interpret a gauge of a shotgun? Is 9 gauge even a legally identified shotgun? Here in the USA, actually all of North America I think, we are required to use shotguns "no larger than 10 gauge" for migratory birds. I looked up the current SAMMI specs for a 3 1/2" 10 gauge, and they list the bore as .775"+.-20" tolerance. This means up to .795" bore is a 10 gauge by that definition. So mine just about meets that, and is not even close to an 8.

It would really throw a wrench in the gears if I couldn't hunt ducks and geese with this. I may have to call our DNR tomorrow to see what they say.

Last edited:
They are Birmingham proof marks from the 1855 to 1868 period. The #10 stampings are signifying that the gun was proofed as a 10 gauge. Lane was most likely a lock maker. I assume you dropped a bore light down each bore? A bore scope would be even better. I would also remove the locks and see if the head of the stock is cracked behind either lock. If so shooting it will wreak havoc on 160 year old wood if not dealt with first. Also try and hold the barrels by the breech hook with your fingers and tap each barrel the full length and see if they still ring all the way. Though not always, a dull thud type of sound could indicate a loose rib.

Last edited:
I have only looked with a bore light so far. I don't have a bore scope per se, but I do have an endoscope that should go down these large bores and get a half decent look. I also ran a few tight patches down. Often if there is any pitting, it is fairly easy to feel with a tight patch. This one feels buttery smooth the entire length. That is a good idea about removing the locks. It is likely I will do a full tear down tomorrow, take the locks apart to clean and lube, take the nipples out, run the endoscope down the barrels, etc. I did not try tapping the barrels, but did not see any indication of separation. I'll try ringing them.

I am concerned about the stock with some test shots. I don't want to back it up to a post, and subject it to recoil with no give. I'm wondering if maybe I strap only the barrels to a tire, and then light it off with some fine powder in the nipples followed by a long fuse might do the trick.

well, I like the gun MSM..and I got no problem paying for something I really like or want... its what it worth to me that is really important..

cant wait to see how it shoots... its just plain cool!!

how about sandBagging the whole thing... keep it low to the ground, bags behind, around and under... or better yet, dont you have some good snow yet?

Marko

Mr. M,
We always used to tie the gun to a saw-horse, so the butt wasn't actually up against anything. All padded with rags, and a good deal of twine around the butt end.
It as a 10 bore is perfectly legal in the US, just need n a lead substitute for wildfowl.
Yes, you did your homework and figured the B'mingham proofs right!

Grand to hear the bores are smooth. You can tell an awful lot by how a tight patch feels at it travels the bore. You are getting it all figured in a very nice way! Good on you.
Good solid looking gun as well.

Congrats on all counts!
Richard.

Dang, now I wish I hadn't ran my endo scope down. I was pleased to find the right barrel appears spotless. The left barrel I was met with a small patch of pitting. I have no idea how deep they are, and they probably are not detrimental. The first picture is the patch of pitting, and it is only in that spot, not all the way around. The bottom picture is the right barrel, spotless, and you can see how obvious only a small fiber, likely from a patch is.

WIN-20210115-00-30-53-Pro.jpg

WIN-20210115-00-31-51-Pro.jpg

The barrels ring like a bell, no problems there. I'll check out the lock and stock tomorrow. I've seen far worse shotguns badly pitted that were shot with modern shells. I'll try a few strong loads, maybe 2 1/2 oz shot with 200 gr powder. If it handles that, I won't worry about anything I plan to run through it.

well, I like the gun MSM..and I got no problem paying for something I really like or want... its what it worth to me that is really important..

cant wait to see how it shoots... its just plain cool!!

how about sandBagging the whole thing... keep it low to the ground, bags behind, around and under... or better yet, dont you have some good snow yet?

Marko

We have snow, but it has been so warm. We had about a foot, which was quickly melting, and it was supposed to snow another 6" today, but it turned out to actually be mostly rain. How about that, rain in January!o_O I worry the sawhorse idea may not work with the recoil likely to happen here. I wonder if simply laying out a big tarp, laying the gun down low on sandbags or similar, and letting it recoil where it recoils. It sounds rough, but I think that may actually be gentler on the stock than any attempt to retain it.

Id just go shooting myself.

I could understand this fear based need for testing if there was a constant stream of data reguarding failures and injuries but hmm...there isnt! Ironically there is catalogues of car accidents but we all just jump in our cars everyday 🧐

I'm not all that worried about it. I do intend to put some real hunting loads through it though, not just 1 ounce target loads. It doesn't cost me nothing but a little powder and shot to try a few proof loads from a distance. If something happens, no big deal. It likely wont, and I can go away happy knowing even after well over 150 years, it is still a real workhorse machine.

I'm not all that worried about it. I do intend to put some real hunting loads through it though, not just 1 ounce target loads. It doesn't cost me nothing but a little powder and shot to try a few proof loads from a distance. If something happens, no big deal. It likely wont, and I can go away happy knowing even after well over 150 years, it is still a real workhorse machine.
No need for heavy loads a standard load is 3 drms of FFG to 1.1/4 oz of shot . Has for the name Lane I have had several for restoration I will check and let you know
Feltwad

Sometime in the history of your gun it has lost 4 too 6 inches of its barrels length and with the excess charge which you intend to use in a 26 inch barrel will be a waste ,what has been done after it lost its length it has bee back bored to resemble a choke hoping it would shoot the same has a 30 or 32 inch barrels ,it may shoot a good pattern but it will not kill to its proper length of barrels .
Has I said I have restored several guns by Lane It is not likely to be a Birmingham Lane because they were mainly late flintlock makers and I would say that your gun would be late percussion 1860-1890 and most likely by a provincial maker has there were several makers by that name it could even have been a iron mongers gun made in Birmingham or London with his name on. Well I hope the gun suits you but not trying too damping your spirts on a gun that size of bore I personally would have kept clear of a 26 inch barrel .What I suggest is try a few different reasonable loads but heavy loads will not help
Feltwad

You will enjoy this ne. Try to pattern it with a standard load. At times when the originals are advertised for sale the gauge is mis-represented. The seller may be guessing. I picked up two that were advertised at 12s only to find on arrival they were 10s. Another was advertised as a 10 tht turned out to be a 12! I have been using original British and Belgian percussion shotguns since the 1960s and have enjoyed them. I have found a good clay target load for the 10 has been the 12 ga. load of 2 3/4 drams of powder and 1 and 1/8th ounces of shot. As mentioned above, Mike does have a good selection of wads. He is quite the vendor at the NMLRA Friendship, Ind., spring and fall events. I have sued those wads for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back