• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How bad did mess up my dovetail?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a Traditions kit and came with plastic sights with the rear sight being mounted using two drilled and tapped holes in the barrel.

My advice is if you want to learn more about building them, use that Barrel and sight to practise installation, and fitting out the overall kit same same. Take your time and enjoy the carefully measured work itself, Craftmanship has to be developed over time and experience; its a journey sans deadlines.

Measure everything and be sure before cutting, drilling; and inletting; and always in increments a little at a time rather than full on that way you wont go too deep; too wide etc.

I recommend 2 good reference books that I still use from years ago, "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Rifle" and "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" (Peter A. Alexander) the latter being a best choice. Study the whole book and pencil in /underline whatever. Then when you start to work flag the relevant pages and refresh in your mind step at a time, your knowledge from study will enable the right positive experience you win through a practical application.

Once you feel more competent then buy a more upmarket kit of your choice worth owning, why waste your hard earned on "the druthers" ?

PS, it was admirable of you to share a failure, thank you sir.

Snyperx, good decision, i have a few barrels laying about that i upscrewed.
for future reference, there is no reason for a dovetail to be deep. there are even dovetail chisels that when stabbed into the flat raise a edge. repeat in the opposite direction and you have a flush top dovetail. flush with the top of the barrel with no file work.
many ways to install a sight.
glad you thought of going to the source.
best of luck.

Looking at the photos I suspect that the OP thought that the upper surface of the Sight had to be flush surfaced with the top Barrel flat.

Its definitely too deep in my opinion i wouldn’t shoot it, Bobby Hoyt. Might be able to fix this with a weld and then reinstall the rear sight. The Sight mortise should be an equal thickness of the sight base. The bases on my guns i often shave them down to a thinner gauge, especially for round barrels.

Back