• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cutting dovetail slots for under-lugs and sights - Baker Rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larks

40 Cal
Reaction score
I had not been able to find someone (in Oz) who could/would machine the dovetails for the underlugs and sights on my Baker Rifle build and I couldn’t find much on-line covering the process so I ended up having a crck at it myself with some pretty basic tools.

This is my first ever build so I am very new to this and so I can’t possibly suggest that this is the correct way to do it, but it seems to have worked. To add to the “fun", I’m working away from home for a few months so I decided to bring the barrel away with me to give me something to work on in my down time but, as a result, I’m away from my own workshop and tools and am making do with a very basic setup on the kitchen bench of a friends apartment where I am staying...

I can’t claim the result to be perfect and I’ve no doubt at all that there’ll be a lot of experience on this forum sniggering at my possibly misguided efforts, but I’m sufficiently happy with the outcome that I thought it worth sharing for anyone else needing to possibly learn from...... (??).

In a nutshell: I used a hacksaw at an angle to define the width and rough angle of the dovetails and to cut down to just above final depth, then a series of files to hog the metal out before finally defining the inside corners of the dovetails with the sharpest edged triangular diamond file that I could find (any other triangular files that I could find, no matter how fine, only gave me a rounded inside corner).

My biggest concern was trying to ensure that the sights came out parallel and I’m happy enough with how they came out.

(not the greatest angle for the video but I hope along with the photos it may be useful)

https://youtu.be/G-yiwLqyjPI

Last edited:
IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

Last edited:
good job.. I did a sort of "halfway house" by milling the slots, but then cutting the dovetails with a three square file with one face ground off..

The bit that gave me nightmares was brazing on the bayonet bar and sling lug.. i used the last of my "old" silver solder on the bar, but had to use new stuff on the sling lug. They have now removed all the cadmium from the alloy and it is the devil's own job to get it to stick and flow..

:thumb: Larks. I have done several octagon barrels using the hacksaw, chisel, safety file method. Don't think I would attempt a round barrel.

Last edited:
Nice work Larks! A patient man who knows how to use a file can do beautiful things! If you ever get the chance, take a look at one of those singgle barrel trap guns from Ithaca Gun Company whose receivers were filed from blocks of steel, by hand, by men who knew how to use a file. They were true masters!

Latest posts

Back