• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Horn disk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berdar

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was researching making my own powder horn a few days ago and ran across a vendor that had horn disks about an inch to 1 ½ inches in diameter and about 3/16 thick or so.

For the life of me, I can't find them now. Does anyone have a clue where I can find these?

well dang! I clicked this hopin' it would tell me where to find these.

berdar said:
I was researching making my own powder horn a few days ago and ran across a vendor that had horn disks about an inch to 1 ½ inches in diameter and about 3/16 thick or so.

For the life of me, I can't find them now. Does anyone have a clue where I can find these?
Why would you need a horn disc when making a powderhorn?

they may have them but, the only thing I could ever find at Crazy Crow was lantern panels/lenses or whatever they were called.

See if there is a wood working group in your area and someone who does a bunch of wood turning on a lathe. They could probably turn one out in short order.

I have a cheapy sears lathe in the garage that I've never used. Maybe I need to fire it up and see if I can turn some.

Years ago I made a horn and just cut and sanded a walnut cap to fit the large end of the horn using rasps, files etc. to shape it.

I think I confused myself when you mentioned powder horns and I thought you were talking about the horn bands or rings that some folks use to reinforce a horn.

So if you are talking about a flat, round shaped disc; may I ask what you are going to use it for? Curiosity has the better of me.

Gus

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you guys. Thanks for all your responses.

I was researching powder horn stuff and ran across the disks. I'm actually thinking about using the horn as an inlay on an 1970s-1980s home built kit rifle that I picked up for cheap. The stock is really thick and could use some adjustment.

I do a good bit of decorative knot tying. I was thinking about using as much of the natural curves of the horn disks as possible to make a more organic, "ropey" look on something like this.

fig4.jpg

It also give me multiple small pieces to practice my inletting skills on.

Thank you all again!

My interest in findin' some horn discs is, I bought a large lot of horns on gunbroker that need to be re-worked. I bought them 'cause most have quite a bit of white to practice scrim on & they were cheap.

while the nimrod used good ends on them, most of them have a large threaded hole in the base I guess for whatever hardware tap he had. so my thought is I could inlet somethin' round into them & horn might do the job without lookin' quite so haphazard.

berdar said:
My apologies for taking so long to get back to you guys. Thanks for all your responses.

I was researching powder horn stuff and ran across the disks. I'm actually thinking about using the horn as an inlay on an 1970s-1980s home built kit rifle that I picked up for cheap. The stock is really thick and could use some adjustment.

I do a good bit of decorative knot tying. I was thinking about using as much of the natural curves of the horn disks as possible to make a more organic, "ropey" look on something like this.

fig4.jpg

It also give me multiple small pieces to practice my inletting skills on.

Thank you all again!
Why...?

Rework the rifle and practice inletting the horn into a scrap piece of wood instead.

bubba.50 said:
My interest in findin' some horn discs is, I bought a large lot of horns on gunbroker that need to be re-worked. I bought them 'cause most have quite a bit of white to practice scrim on & they were cheap.

while the nimrod used good ends on them, most of them have a large threaded hole in the base I guess for whatever hardware tap he had. so my thought is I could inlet somethin' round into them & horn might do the job without lookin' quite so haphazard.

Sounds interesting. Never seen that done before. Do you plan on scrimshanding the inletted discs as well?

Gus

"while the nimrod used good ends on them, most of them have a large threaded hole in the base I guess for whatever hardware tap he had. so my thought is I could inlet somethin' round into them & horn might do the job without lookin' quite so haphazard."

You could use traditional brass inlays too. I once inlaid a hunter's star in a plain base plug which I stained with a tobacco plug stain.

What you need to do is flatten a piece of cow horn and draw your design on it, then cut your design out with a scroll saw or better yet, a Jeweler's saw. I have made more intricate patterns than the knot design you show here. Pretty simple process.

Rick

Latest posts

Back