• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hooked Breech options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott k

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What I want to do is put a different barrel on a hooked breech gun. It is a Lyman trade gun flint lock 15/16 barrel.
Is there a way to do away with the patten breech? Or should one be used again with the hooked breech.
I would like it to drop in the old tang. If it means making a hook out of a regular one that would not be a problem.

The reason I want to do this is I want a longer barrel and different caliber that will drop in when I want to.
Thanks in advance. :front:
Lehigh...

Greetings Lehigh.

Wellll, just about any thing is possible if you have enough money and time.

But truth be told, it is probably easiest, best, and least expensive to remove the hook breech from the original factory barrel and install it on the new barrel. If you have access to a lathe and have a knowledge of basic machine shop procedures, it is not a difficult job.

I am currently in the process of doing that on my wife's Browing Mountain Rifle. She wants aperture sight for competitive shooting, and I will not drill and tap the original factory barrel.

You might contact Lyman and see if they will sell you a breech. That is really a long shot; T-C will not. Or you could get real sneaky, remove the breech from your current barrel, send the barrel to Lyman, ans ask them to install a new breech for you.

And last, check with TOW's catalog and find a reasonable close replacement hook breech AND tang to fit your Lyman barrel, have this installed on your barrel and inletted into your stock. With this new arrangement, you can probably buy a new identical hook breech from TOW for your new barrel.

Now do not forget other little things(?) like cutting in new sight dovetails, installing the ramrod under rib, and barrel under lugs.

Like I said, with enough money and time (mostly money) most any thing can be done.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, I am carrying your load.

If you haven't already done it, you might check with GM to see if they already have, or will cobble together, exactly what you're looking for

Greetings All,

Now Roundball, THAT is the best idea of all.

Why did I not think of that? Doubt if it has anything to do with age.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, I am carrying your load.

The hooked breeches like those at totw are the ones that I was looking at.I would like to get away from the patten breech.
I was wondering if I could use one like this
breech.jpg

did anyone out there ever use a hook like this on a rifle build for a hook breech. I know its for a shot gun but could it be used on a rifle? Just that stile of breech plug.
Looked at the ready made GM rifle barrel combos and did not see one that I want :boohoo: Besides I would be putting fixed sites on mine and brass ramrod thimbles.
While I demand and good wage at work for all of my skills and know how I do work pretty cheep at home so putting it together is not a money issue. :crackup:
Lehigh...

I don't think interchangeable breech plugs is practical. I'm not familiar with Lyman flinters, but I bet they have metric threaded breech plugs since they are Italian made. Fileing the hook to fit isn't much or a problem but let's not forget you have to have the barrel lugs sized and installed precisly for an interchangeabel setup as well. And a barrel rib has to be attached to the barrel. And sights. You would probably would be better off with another gun, considering the time and money needed to get this project aerodynamic and ready to roll.

What I'm thinking of is buying a Green Mountain barrel, useing the old tang and fitting the new hooked breech to it. I don't want to touch the Lyman barrel.
I did a price check at TOTW and came up with a price of $155.44 to $174.00 depending on the kind of breech I use. Thats for All the parts incuding sights & screws for the under rib. The price looks ok to me.
As a x machinist I do have the skills to do the job. I have already put a barrel together for a lancaster long gun I have. Also put on the rib that is on my trade gun.
Time is not a issue I have plenty of that, more time than money though :crackup:
Lehigh...

Back